Auburn vs Detroit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After a week vacation in Missouri I'm starting to think my rear end is going bad. What's going to be better and easier to install an auburn posi or a Detroit truetrac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't believe you'll find too many people who have done both, especially since gear swaps tend to be beyond the DIY level for many enthusiasts. I'm not sure if he's a member here, but a guy that goes by Air Ram may be able to explain any differences in the installation. He also sells both on his website, though I'm not sure if he's a forum sponsor so I won't direct link the site. I've purchased parts through him in the past and he was a great guy, and an active contributor to many DIY threads over the years on various forums. You should contact him for everything you'd want to know about both. I always knew that if I got around to swapping gears/differentials, I'd be going through him.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been researching rear end setups for weeks now for another build. Plenty of info on all these animals but for a multi use vehicle... driving daily on real roads, going off road in the mud or making sure both wheels are spinning down a quarter mile the detroit trutrac has got to be the best design I have ever seen.

If you are mudding all the time or drag racing all the time then save a freaking ton of money and get a spool. The only way to do it all without slipping or clanking when it snaps shut is a trutrac.

This opinion is from research only but I'm convinced enough that I'm ordering one soon for a ford 8.8 I'm putting in a ranger. Plenty of articles on this setup and anything I've seen negative is very old AND could probably be attributed to shaky installation.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been researching rear end setups for weeks now for another build. Plenty of info on all these animals but for a multi use vehicle... driving daily on real roads, going off road in the mud or making sure both wheels are spinning down a quarter mile the detroit trutrac has got to be the best design I have ever seen.

If you are mudding all the time or drag racing all the time then save a freaking ton of money and get a spool. The only way to do it all without slipping or clanking when it snaps shut is a trutrac.

This opinion is from research only but I'm convinced enough that I'm ordering one soon for a ford 8.8 I'm putting in a ranger. Plenty of articles on this setup and anything I've seen negative is very old AND could probably be attributed to shaky installation.

I swapped a disc brake 8.8 in my old ranger. Should of kept that truck. :sleepy10: