Auto to Manual conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 2500 diesel with the 6 speed automatic. Great truck all around but I really really want a manual transmission. I'm curious if anyone on here has ever done the swap on a 3rd gen truck and what exactly is involved. There are a few obvious things such as

Transmission
Swapping shifters and getting the trim for the steering column
Clutch and i would assume some things would change as far as the flywheel?
What would need to be done for the transfer case?
Adding the clutch pedal
And I would guess you'd need to flash the ECM

What else would be needed to do swap it out?

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
I would start by swapping the vin number and the chassis.... So yeah, buy another truck.

You would be changing entire wiring harnesses, possibly clusters, almost certainly ecms, interior panels, potentially steering columns, it would be ridiculous. Its not 1968 anymore and a such you can't just slap a gear jammer in and cut a hole in the floor. The time and literally thousands and thousands of dollars you would spend would be much better applied to not hacking up a nice truck.

Go buy what you want and let someone who wants what you have buy yours. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I see where you're coming from, just kinda like to get an idea of what's involved cause if I were to get another truck all together I'd want a 5.9 instead which are really hard to find in good shape with a manual for a good price and also decent mileage. I have been looking. I only have 100000kms on mine and for what I owe on it I would pay more for a truck with over twice the mileage

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The interior harness is the same whether you have a Manual or an Auto tranny, actually it is the same for most truck models. It is cheaper to have 1 harness for all uses and just add the options rather than have different interior harnesses based on which options you want to slap in the truck.

However, from under the hood, things are very different. Wiring harnesses would have to be swapped, as well as engine control modules.
Not familiar enough with the diesels to provide a good educated assessment, but since there is a transmission control in the ECU if swapping to Manual, you would have to change that costly piece of hardware.

As far as the truck is concerned past the addition of the clutch pedal, the shifter, related sensors wiring and tubing if putting in an Hydraulic clutch, I don't see a lot going on there.

Now that is for a rear wheel drive... If you have a 4 wheel drive, you will also need to validate if you can reuse your x-case, and may have to also swap the drive shafts...

As for an engine swap (with a different model of engine from the original engine in your truck), the best and most affordable option is to have a donor truck sitting right next to yours while you are doing the job. Not only can you have a look to the other truck as you go and figure what needs to happen, but the parts store is sitting a few feet away from the job site.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks that does help, would probably leave the engine if I did do it and just swap the Trans and tcase if needed, I'm guessing a donor truck would be the best route regardless

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You resell the remains once you are done and get some $$ back or keep some of the left over for future repairs. It does require the space and time.
But if you look at it from a project standpoint as something you would like to do for the fun of doing it, then yes a donor would be the best way to go.

I can't afford that as mine is my daily driver.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Call hotwireauto.com about the harness stuff.