Bad Lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Wondering if anyone has a theory as to why these lifters are wearing out after only 30K miles. It's a long story but I rebuilt the engine after burning a rod bearing and have had two lifters fail in the last few months, both on the driver's side. Dirt, debris or metal shavings in the oil? Too much valve spring pressure for a daily driver? Incorrect pushrod length? I used 6.1L top end parts and a custom Camshaft from Inertia.

A few things worth mentioning: I didn't prime the new oil pump after the rebuild so it ran for about 7 seconds until the top of the engine got oil. Also my work environment is fairly dusty. I might have overfilled it with oil this summer but didn't see any froth on the dipstick. It did have a tick on the driver's side after the rebuild but it ticked before as well. It ran fine for 30K miles.

I pulled all the lifters on the driver's side and several of the rollers are slightly loose. The one on the right is the second to fail, the one on the left shows wear on the roll pin. Any help appreciated, I'm nervous about just replacing the lifters and am seriously considering going back to stock.

IMG_20161027_123913384_zpslsliw6mi.jpg"]IMG_20161027_123913384_zpslsliw6mi.jpg[/URL]