Bad torque converter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin_case

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have a 2006 dodge dually 2wd with the 5.9 cummins. I have 198k on motor and trans and on a recent trip I began to hear a howl that is most noticeable when I let off the throttle. When I slow down at between 10-15 mph there is a severe shake similar to hitting rumble bars on the side of the hiway. The shake seems to be worse if I'm applying the brakes at that speed. Could the torque converter be causing the howl and shake? Carrier bearing for the drive shaft and u joints are all new and were replaced after this problem was discovered. I've seen threads talking of noisy TCs but can't find anybody that's had the shake. Thoughts??

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Sound like stuck piston on caliper or a warped rotor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Doesn't sound like a converter problem to me, will it make the noise on a hoist? Rear end pinion bearing maybe?
If it will make the noise on a hoist you should be able to track it down, if not, hard to say.

OP
OP
J

Justin_case

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks for the response. I initially thought it was the rearend because of the howling but the violent shake between 10-15 mph is what's throwing me off. I thought maybe it was the converter locking in and out but it may be in the rearend. I changed diff only and it was clean. No metal at all. I'm putting it up on a lift tonight to see if I can better track the noise down. Noises can be very hard to track!! Hope I can find source.....