Battery charging question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Missbhavin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi,
I'm new and maybe you all could help. My alternator is going out and I also needed batteries for my 06 2500 with 5.9.
I put two batteries on and bought the alternator (auto zone tested it bad). I've been working alot and I drive a truck so I've been only using my truck about twice a week for a month now. I hook up the main battery to the charger when not in use and it shuts down when charged. Yesterday I got home too late tried to make it with the lights off driving on shoulder with flashers. It died finally and I had a friend jump me. I had to turn the key on and off to prime it because i guess it ran the power so low. I made it the 8 miles home and barely through my gate when it died again. I took both batteries off and started charging the main on that's on the passenger side. It's charging well. I tried the other and the green charging light won't come on and it pulls power down in the charger and cuts the charger off. I tried changing the charger to to 6v which it stays on then and shows its at 85%. ???
I don't have a volt meter (can't find it). I checked the water in that battery and it looks fine

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had this problem before with certain trickle chargers. If the battery gets too low, the charger won't recognize it and it shuts down. In the past, when this has happened, I have one of those portable 12v jumper packs. I connect the jumper pack to the battery and then plug the jumper packs charger into the wall.

Using this method, I'm able to charge the 12v battery enough to get the trickle charger to recognize it. Also, the trickle charger that has this issue is a schumacher. Maybe try connecting both batteries parallel, and charging them together.

You mention in your post that you put 2 batteries on and bought an alternator. Are these the new batteries, and is the new alternator already installed? If so, you need to figure out what's wrong with the new alternator. Definitely go buy a multi volt meter. It's a very valuable tool that can be used for years to come.

OP
OP
M

Missbhavin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Thank you that makes sense. This charger is a travellar from tractor supply.
Sorry to ask a question and not get right back if my day couldn't get any worse... I slid down the ditch twisted my knee and my phone flew in the water. When I tried to log back in to answer this it wouldn't accept my password and then i had to wait 15 minutes. Lol funny now not when it happened.
My truck is too far from the closest electrical outlet and I don't have enough extention cords probably 200 ft. The alternator I haven't put on because I don't feel that confident in my skill and I need to get hay today to my animals, I live about 15 miles nearest town. So first step is just getting the batteries charged enough to do that. After that's done I'll then do the alterbator. I called orileys and they said they can charge it in about 1 1/2 hrs if it's good. So I thought I would take both batteries too. Its just an issue using the company truck to do this and that's why I was trying to figure a way not too.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you're having a heck of a day.

You should be able to install the alternator yourself with basic tools.

1. Remove the drive belt.
2. Remove the alternator.
3. Install new alternator.
4. Install drive belt.

Belt Removal:
Belt_removal.jpg

Alternator Removal:
Alternator_removal.jpg

Alternator Install:
Alternator_install.jpg

Belt Install:
Belt_install.jpg

OP
OP
M

Missbhavin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Oh my gosh thanks. I watched a utube on it several times and I've now put myself in situation where i don't have much choice so I'll let you know how it goes.
Yes the last 24 hrs have been horrible but i will take the bad with the good. I'm glad i reached out here seems like a bunch of good people. I love my truck and it's falling apart and i don't want a new one i want mine like new. So after i get over this bump im going to try to act like i have a truck pmt and put a certain amount in each month for it. I only wish i had 4 wheel drive because i actually need it. It gets really good fuel milage too much better then the little "economy" trucks They're great trucks this is my second after years of mostly Ford.