Battery running down when parked on 07 Ram 1500 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffstoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After coming out to a dead battery a few times, and thinking I must have left something on or the battery was not holding charge, I finally realized that it was always when the truck sat for a bit. After the last time, after charging the battery, I took off a terminal, hooked up an ammeter and found something is drawing a whopping 1.2 amps instead of the normal 30 ma. or so, needed to hold the memory on the radio and computer. I disconnected the output cable from the alternator but that was not it. I pulled a few fuses but it was getting late. Tomorrow I stick in a battery cutoff switch until I solve this. Anybody had a similar problem that they fixed? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'm no help but will be following ! Please update what you find ! Thanks

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
don't forget the obvious ,under hood light? and cab lights would only show up at night WITH the door doors closed (don't ask how I know)
brian j

OP
OP
J

jeffstoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
don't forget the obvious ,under hood light? and cab lights would only show up at night WITH the door doors closed (don't ask how I know)
brian j
I confess. I have left one of the over head map lights on a time or two. There is no under hood light. I was kind of surprised at that. It is an SLT and it has most of those little extras. The dome light is not switchible and goes out when it should.

OP
OP
J

jeffstoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It I discovered that the vehicle has a shutdown pattern. It draws 1.2 A and then 0.6 A and slowly toggles back and forth. Then it drops to the expected 13 ma. I did not time it but it is not very long. The original problem was that the battery was just shot. I replaced it. I lost track of how long it had been in there, over 6 years. I got more than my money's worth