better mileage:)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmoore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Been off the list for a while - but had a chance to experiment a little to get better in-town mileage. (Maybe this has been mentioned - but I couldn't find it using various search terms.)

When I first got the truck (2007 Quad cab, 4x4, hemi) in August, I started doing most of my driving like a lil ol man - trying to get the best in town mileage. I averaged between 8-10mpg. While I didn't buy the truck expecting it to be a Prius, I certanly expected a bit more than that. I played around a bit, reset the electrics and whatnot - all to no avail. Then - I spoke with someone who mentioned that he had read that the optimum mileage was not programed to happen at grandpa speeds, but at about 70% throttle. So - I've ben driving "briskly" in town. NOT nailing it - mind you - but also not doing the grandpa gig. I've basically cut my 0 - 30 time in half in the city. The net result (on three consecutive tanks) is between 11.5 and 12mpg around town. (I'm waiting for my Extang for the bed, so we'll see what happens on the road, too.)

Now THAT'S about what I was expecting. Reality check: It's more a psychological victory than anything else:) At what may be 4 or 5 bucks a gallon soon - 1 or 2 mpg isn't going to be all that important:)

jm

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
I have kinda noticed this too. The Hemi has no balls at all down low once you get it up to that ~3k range the truck gets more efficient. When I pull a trailer I go with OD off and at 75mph. I turn 3600 rpm and pulling a 30 foot trailer I get 5 to 6 mpg where as any slower I go to 4 mpg. All about powerband but wtf was dodge thinking. Peak torque of 375 at a stratospheric for a truck 4200 rpm? what the ****.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, our peak torque is pretty stupid. It's just an advertising gimmick as only track guys can really use it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
As often stated, our trucks love deeper gears than what the factory gave them.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
It makes sense seeing how the best mpg on the highway is around the 2200rpm mark, but most people are affraid to drive with rpms that high because they think that gives you worse mileage.

Mod a vehicle for better mpgs and you are just throwing your money away.
Mod a vehicle to run better/more efficiently and watch the mpgs climbe.

The better and more efficient you vehicle runs the easier it gets up to speed with less pedal being used.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I get around 12 in the city and I get on it quite a bit. I don't drive it like a grandma hahaha and On the highway I get around 18-20

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock