Big Three Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesto1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Sup guys, I wanted a little info on how to do the big three upgrade. I know that the three wires that I change are the ones the go from the:
1) Alternator to ground
2) Alternator to positive
3) Negative to ground

The problem is I look under my hood and I don't know where each wire is at? When I look at the positive it goes to the bottom of the engine block?? I haven't gotten under the truck to see where it goes. Or maybe I'm just seeing things...
Also I hear of people putting extra stuff in between... so I'm not sure on what else is needed...

Anyways I wasn't sure where to put this at cuz most people do the big three upgrade for their aftermarket audio systems, but since it's in the engine area, I thought it went better in this forum...

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The large positive you are likely seeing is for the Starter. You leave that one alone.

You should have a ~8 ga wire from your alternator to your fuse box, and a 4ga from there to the battery. Both of these need to be replaced with heavy gauge.

Then replace where ever the ground wire starts / ends. If it's not to the body, I'd add another large gauge ground to the chassis ground.

OP
OP
Nesto1000

Nesto1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Well from the negative there are two wires. One going to the chassis, and another one that looks like it's a crap ground... close to the battery.

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would also add a good ground to the motor as well

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well from the negative there are two wires. One going to the chassis, and another one that looks like it's a crap ground... close to the battery.

You can't have to much ground. Make em all big.

Ridgeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am new to this subject. Are the factory cables not latge enough ?
Or fail? Whats the point of replacing these cables And not just ensuring a good clean contact?

OP
OP
Nesto1000

Nesto1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I am new to this subject. Are the factory cables not latge enough ?
Or fail? Whats the point of replacing these cables And not just ensuring a good clean contact?

Well the factory cables are perfect for factory equipment....

I've added quite a bit of aftermarket audio equipment to my truck, and well I want better power flow...

Ridgeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How will larger guage wire increase alt. output. Unless you have a larger output alternator?
Im just trying to justify this change? I guess a larger cable cant hurt. Especially on grnd side. But wont improve ? Will it?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Nice upgrade...you get it done yet?

OP
OP
Nesto1000

Nesto1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
How will larger guage wire increase alt. output. Unless you have a larger output alternator?
Im just trying to justify this change? I guess a larger cable cant hurt. Especially on grnd side. But wont improve ? Will it?

Well it won't provide more power than it's already providing, but it'll send the power more efficiently. Some people in my shoes who have slight flickering when an aftermarket system installed, and what they can do is this upgrade and it'll be fixed. But if doesn't get fixed, then a H/O Alternator might be needed. And if you need to buy a H/O Alternator, you already have the wiring upgraded needed for it... :D
So it's a win win situation in my book.

Nice upgrade...you get it done yet?

No I haven't done it yet... I need to pay off quite a few things right now so I don't have money for the 1/0 Ga welders wire that I want to buy.

Last edited: