black smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spyderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Under acceleration I get a huge puff of black smoke and when pulling a heavy load my rear bumper gets all blacked up. I just recently got this truck, I'm gonna keep it no matter, but am I looking at a serious problem or something minor like an adjustment? Truck is 04 with Cummins and 150K on it. Thanks for any info you can provide.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome to the forum. Thats extra fuel being dumped before the turbo is lighting off. The newer diesels dont do it as much but thats normal for anything pre 09 I think. Wait till you put a tune in it.
[yt]cBwzOvmqRo8[/yt]

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like the old sayin goes, "Black Smoke Don't Mean It's Broke" hehehehehe

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
^^ No stranger to the trucking trade I take it ? I drive a semi, when I'm not lighting up the streets in my dodge.

Actually it's unburnt carbon as well. Thats pretty normal for any diesel motor. Traditionally all diesels will last longer because of the lower rpm's involved. I would not worry too much.I would however get the injectors cleaned that would be a big help in my opinion. Welcome as well.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
LOL, nope I'm no stranger to it. My dad used to drive a truck for a livin and my bf's dad still drives. It's pretty normal round here

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
guess that bf isn't for best friend : /. lol j/king I'm happily divorced :). I'm actually debating on whether to go in tonight. they are calling for a all nighter. which means sucky traveling for me. I think I'll type all day then call in sick......oops off topic again. my bad.

donjohnk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I can say from what I have seen and was told .. My work truck is a cummins 2500 and its got a burnt piston and leaks oil like a spagetti strainer! Lately its been doing that alot when accelerating quickly or going up hills. I dont dare tow with it anymore. Also I have seen other diesels smoke just prior to the turbo ****tin the bed, those did it constantly though. Oh and when they checked my motor they took the oil cap off and you can see puffs of smoke coming out as the motor ran. Thats just a few things I am pointing out, Not saying thats what your problem could be..

Oh and my truck is same year and miles as yours!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spyderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks

With the majority saying it's normal, it eases my concerns. I think I will have the injectors cleaned, can't hurt. Also, in two prior motorhomes I had installed the Banks system, I picked up a ton of power plus 2mpg fuel milage savings. What's the concensous here, Banks the way to go, or do I have blinders on and just don't know about other products on the market?