Bottom end knock between engine and transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys, newbie to the forums and needing a lil help. I have a bottom end knock that sounds like it's coming from between engine and transmission. My oil pressure is perfect, it never changes. I removed the inspection plate and I believe the sound got a little louder. I checked the fp to cv bolts and they are tight. I can't really see if there are any cracks in fp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 2002 ram 1500 4.7 4x4

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
You don't think it's coming from inside the engine? If it's a true knock then it's most likely a bad rod bearing. Less likely would be a main bearing or wrist pin. If the tone ring were loose I'd think it would be throwing codes and running like crap. Is the flex plate loose? There are 8 bolts connecting the fp to the crankshaft but you can't get at them with out dropping the transmission or pulling the engine.

OP
OP

02ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't think it's coming from inside the engine? If it's a true knock then it's most likely a bad rod bearing. Less likely would be a main bearing or wrist pin. If the tone ring were loose I'd think it would be throwing codes and running like crap. Is the flex plate loose? There are 8 bolts connecting the fp to the crankshaft but you can't get at them with out dropping the transmission or pulling the engine.

It seemed like it was coming from tc/fp area. I removed inspection plate and took tc loose and pushed it back I then spun tc with my fingers to check for clearance and started the engine. Knock is still there. Fp bolts are tight as far as I can tell, and no visible cracks. The tc bolts were barely tight at all, a short box end wrench and light bump with my hand and they were loose. I am now leaning towards a spun bearing. Is it possible to change with engine in truck.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
It seemed like it was coming from tc/fp area. I removed inspection plate and took tc loose and pushed it back I then spun tc with my fingers to check for clearance and started the engine. Knock is still there. Fp bolts are tight as far as I can tell, and no visible cracks. The tc bolts were barely tight at all, a short box end wrench and light bump with my hand and they were loose. I am now leaning towards a spun bearing. Is it possible to change with engine in truck.

As long as the crankshaft turns you can replace all the rod bearings without removing the engine but more than likely the crankshaft will need to be refurbished or replaced. If that's the case you're better off pulling the engine. You could remove the oil pan and inspect the bottom end before deciding what to do next.

OP
OP

02ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as the crankshaft turns you can replace all the rod bearings without removing the engine but more than likely the crankshaft will need to be refurbished or replaced. If that's the case you're better off pulling the engine. You could remove the oil pan and inspect the bottom end before deciding what to do next.

Thank you for your time and the info, greatly appreciated