Broken Bolts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As some of you know i have headers on the way... so today i went out to soak the bolts in PB blaster in hopes of getting them out without breaking any.. well, one is already broken! the fucken head just fell off, i didnt even touch it- it was just pinched between the heat shield. it looks like its been that way for awile since its all rusty where it fell off.
i also broke one of the bolts off of the shield and stripped 2, they are so rusty that there was hardly even any head left...
so... i would like to get some ideas on how to get these ******** off without having to **** with any more broken bolts. there is a lot of shaft left on the one that is already broken, so if i cant get it with a vice grips i will probably weld a nut onto it so i can get a good bite
any other ideas other than taking it slow and using LOTS of penetrating oil? i will back them out, spray them, turn them back in, back them out... etc.. but was wondering if anyone else had any idears?? i should be able to heat them, right?
also, the pacesetter LT's come with bolts dont they?
thanks!

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
you could drill and tap them .

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Removal technique is determined by how much room you have to work with. Most of the time welding a nut on a broken stud is as much about heat as getting a good grip. If drilling comes into play you will have to have room to work, maybe with the inter fenders removed you might be able to get at them. Air drills or 90 degree drill heads can also be helpful. I have had good luck with easy-outs when a proper hole can be drilled. Worse case would be requiring the head to be removed so it is time to be creative. Good luck...

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a few bolts that had the heads broken off when I did my headers. Once you get the manifolds off, vice grips did the job just fine for me. I would have some easy outs on hand just in case though.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I got lucky with mine as none of the bolts sheared off during the install. There really isn't enough room to drill them out with them on the truck though, but I dont have anything small enough to get the room to do them, also depends on which one sheared off I guess too. Good luck

OP
OP
cheapbeater

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i'm not lookin forward to this removal/install... i still gotta get the gaskets..

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
**** sounds like a **** storm. Easy outs work but they really have to be drillid in the center of the bolt. Trouble With this is your gonna have too drill into the bolt, your gonna need a quality easyout to do it. no cheapo harber freight tool will do here. Pb and vice grips, better get a good grip on it otherwise you'll be stipping those.bolts. Worst case scenario. drill out and retap the heads. Sounds like a lot a work. but really quite simple. Good luck cheap, not an easy task. O3, huh? I was surprised the o5 eon this thread had the same problems. Well five years, is five years.

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL, one of my coworkers just put new manifolds on an 03 Chevy pickup and snapped a couple bolts off. Only problem is he broke em off flush with the heads. Needless to say we were puttin on new heads the next day. This smiley perfectly mimic's my boss's reaction :killer:

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Thats putting them on, right? He is still trying to get the exhaust bolts off. I'm quite positive he will torque the header bolts with care, I would.

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Thats putting them on, right? He is still trying to get the exhaust bolts off. I'm quite positive he will torque the header bolts with care, I would.

He broke em taking them off, so the next day I had to help put new heads and the new manifolds with new bolts on. That was fun.......

blk05hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
He broke em taking them off, so the next day I had to help put new heads and the new manifolds with new bolts on. That was fun.......

Sounds fun!

I say be careful and make sure u soke em good... The only ones on mine that i broke were from the shield over them.