Buying headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm looking into getting a pair of headers for my truck. But I have a couple of questions.
1. Which ones should are the best for around 300?
2. Does the entire exhaust have to be replaced with it? Or Will they work with stock exhaust?
3. Should I get them ceramic coated or leave them the way they come. Are there any benefits to ceramic coating them?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Go to Air Ram.com and see if he can get you some around that price .No you don't have to get rid of your stock exaust but why put headers on if you are trying to get more power out of you engine?Ebay has name brand headers and such they are all over the internet but the bottom line is price range.Ceramic runs cooler and suppose to last longer also check with Summit Racing.

Last edited:

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just installed BBK shorties, they are chrome/silver, i got them for around 300, my truck woke up!

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Go to Air Ram.com and see if he can get you some around that price .No you don't have to get rid of your stock exaust but why put headers on if you are trying to get more power out of you engine?Ebay has name brand headers and such they are all over the internet but the bottom line is price range.Ceramic runs cooler and suppose to last longer also check with Summit Racing.

Not sure if I fully understand your question but I'll try to answer lol. Aren't headers supposed to give you a little more power? And as far as leaving the stock exhaust other than the manifold is I don't have the money to do a full exhaust right now.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Silver ceramic is good skip the titanium ceramic I have heard not good things. The BBK fit pretty poorly is my understanding but if they don't leak that is okay I guess.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In that price range BBK shorties is your best bet. I would suggest spending the little extra for the ceramic coating. Check out the BBK part# 40090. not only should they get you some HP they look pretty good too!

Last edited:

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bigblue05,First I would wait and get everything I needed to get the exaust system you want get the funds first and build the system you want .You have enough young guns that have a wild hair up their Butt they can tell you everything you need to know about what to put on your truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bigblue05,First I would wait and get everything I needed to get the exaust system you want get the funds first and build the system you want .You have enough young guns that have a wild hair up their Butt they can tell you everything you need to know about what to put on your truck.

OK. Say I was going to go ahead and buy everything i needed. What else should i get. Whole new pipes? A new muffler? Whats wrong with leaving the stock exhaust with headers?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a thing but the idea is helping the engine breathe .I really don't care for headers for chances of leaks and such.The way engines are made today you got to have some back pressure so it would run proper.What I would do is put a free flowing cats and dual cat back set up and not fool with headers unless you got high performance ideas later.Get with some of these people that sell stuff like that .I have a Gibson dual cat back set up on my Ram its loud enough for me .

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The idea is to do more high performance stuff long the way. Plus I feel like it would be easier to start with headers and go back then to start with the back and go forward.

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree start with the headers if you plan on changing the whole exhaust eventually. The headers will be your biggest gain anyway. The gains of catbacks are more for sound than power unless you are running big Hp.

Let me know if we can help in any way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I agree start with the headers if you plan on changing the whole exhaust eventually. The headers will be your biggest gain anyway. The gains of catbacks are more for sound than power unless you are running big Hp.

Let me know if we can help in any way

I do have one question maybe you can answer. On Amazon the BBK Shorty's say they don't fit four wheel drive. Do you know if this is just a mess up on Amazon's side or is there a different set four four wheel drive?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have one question maybe you can answer. On Amazon the BBK Shorty's say they don't fit four wheel drive. Do you know if this is just a mess up on Amazon's side or is there a different set four four wheel drive?
Give me a little time to look into it for you. I will respond as soon as I get a definite answer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Straight from BBK's site for all their headers listed for RAM trucks

"NOTE
Fits- 03-16 5.7 Hemi 1500 2wd & 4wd.
Does Not Fit- Mega Cab
Does Not fit- 2500."

If you would like a quote from us PM with your full vehicle info and shipping address for an accurate quote with Forum special pricing

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also found this from my supplier

"These BBK Performance shorty tuned Length exhaust Headers are designed and constructed as direct fit replacements for all 04-08 Dodge Ram truck 5.7L applications."

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
They do not fit on all 4wd trucks. Numerous customers have had issues with the header hitting the steering arm on the 4wd models. It doesnt happen to everyone, but it has happened enough that we will not sell the BBK headers for a 4wd truck. If it does hit, you have to put a dent in the header primary to clear the steering arm.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 with the bbk shorties and they do not rub. However I have seen a few guys where they do rub.