Cam install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I get Intermittent dash chime and oil pressure guage loss/bounce when its really cold out. I have replaced the sensor itself and problem still happens on occassion so I beleive its maybe the wiring from the sensor into the harness is just old and perhaps corroded and I have yet to follow up and do a 100% inspection. Your troubles could be the same coincidental bad guage connection and perhaps you actually still have good pressure but can see the concern if you truly beleive no oil is being pumped up.

Is there a way to test?? other than running the truck with a valve cover removed (AKA like a Chevy valve adjust 1970's era) or can you screw like a compression tester into the sensor mount to verify (asking cause I do not know).

The Timing chain tensioner on these Motors only last IMO approx 100K miles after which their reliability is hit and miss. The Crower Chain might be the next one I buy too but the Magnum has a real 6.1 with the white sliders and 4 bands (so I was Told by the Builder whom I trust). Danny

Danny,
I actually removed the sensor and held my finger over the hole and had the wife start the engine. Nothing, I removed my finger and still nothing. This wasn't a prolong test but with the engine running I would think pressure would be instantaneous. Crower is a OEM set with a hole drilled in it for the offset plugs used to advance or retard the cam. 6.1 timing set would probably be the upgrade. This lost of oil prime, which is what it looks like to me has me baffled. Maybe cut the filter open to see if that could have caused a problem. IDK what's going on...

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I replaced the sending unit when I did my rebuild because I wanted there to be no mistake as far as reading the oil pressure. Bad or clogged filter, oil pressure relief valve stuck open, air pocket causing pump to lose prime, low oil, sludge, blocked pick up screen. I think you've ruled almost all of those out.

I can't see how the timing chain guide would affect the oil pressure and nothing else. Hopefully it will be all good when you get it put back together.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I replaced the sending unit when I did my rebuild because I wanted there to be no mistake as far as reading the oil pressure. Bad or clogged filter, oil pressure relief valve stuck open, air pocket causing pump to lose prime, low oil, sludge, blocked pick up screen. I think you've ruled almost all of those out.

I can't see how the timing chain guide would affect the oil pressure and nothing else. Hopefully it will be all good when you get it put back together.

The guide didn't have anything to do with the oil pressure, that was just a lucky fix. :favorites13:

The only thing in the oiling system I really changed was the filter. I need to take a very careful look at it to see if might have been the issue. A new one will go back in..

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Good point about the filters. I have not been much help but if i can suggest you try a Mobil m-301, long or K&N with same part number. I been having a few noisy lifters at the rear of the motor (as indicated by black lines left behind when i pulled the relatively new mopar cam out) and on cold startup i get a clack for about 2 minutes until the oil flows good. They are eather stickey or worn, anyhow i since ditched the fram xg filter choice as i do not trust the check valve and where the noisiest filters as proven when i upgraded to the mobil,, anyhow just throwing that out there.....once my old motor has run for 3-4 minutes it stays quiet till the next cold start. Will have to open her up again sooner than later or stick in my spare 48k lx block. Curious to find out the cause as you got me stumped but then again been a long day. PS have you thought to change to 0w40 like the 392's run (magnum likes it/good for six months).

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Finally put it all back together, Getting the push rods to seat properly was really tough. I spent hours fooling with them. Finally it all looked good and I rolled the motor over by hand about a dozen times with nothing popping out of place. Unfortunately this took many attempts. Installed a mechanical oil gage at the pressure sensor port. Primed the engine using a hand pump from Harbor freight. First quart went in pretty much without any pressure showing, second quart showed 20psi. Buttoned everything up and filled with fluids. Primed the fuel rails a couple of time and hit the key. It fired right up without clatter or any stumbling. Idles at 825, warmed up normal. Oil pressure is showing 65psi on the mechanical gauge. It's sweet having the old girl up and running. OBTW, the cam is a PPP Track Warrior 218/224 dur .571/.550 lift 114lsa in a 2003. ;)

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Having the old girl running is like a heavy stone being lifted from my shoulders.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
So what do think the problem was?

I wish I knew for certain. I changed the oil filter, installed a new oil pump, changed the pickup tube O ring. Had two push rods off the rockers which were a total PIA to get in place. Externally primed the engine before starting. So one of those items seem to have been a problem. I was sure I had all the push rods in place the first round, but when I pulled it down two were off the rockers. I ran the engine for about hour today and revved it to 4000 a couple of times, It settled back to idle very nicely. Engine feels like it is running really good. Take into consideration I've been driving my old diesel for the last couple months. lol... Nothing definitively.....

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thanks, not having any oil pressure had me concerned.....