Cam, Valve Covers, and Roller Rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
I've heard several times before that if I was to install 1.7 Roller rockers that they would not clear my stock valve covers if I was to install a cam. My question is are there aftermarket covers out there that would fit my heads and at the same time clear the rockers, also at the same time look pretty :D

I looked some stuff up on Summit Racing but the ones I saw say they are still stock height so idk.

OP
OP
Shiloh 24

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Ok now.... 19 views and not a single ****** reply :flipthebird:

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
not a lot of 5.9 guys on here... take it easy ya premo ejaculator

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Dosent Johnny have em? Im courious also (Bro in law has a 5.9) I know Sean mentioned em also but didnt go far into em.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I know that they fit with the stock cam but don't know if they will work after a cam install upgrade. Us 5.9 guys are few and far between. We are just happy the dam thing runs lol.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You need to get the adjustable 1.7 rr so you can get the cam and yes they do make taller vc.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
you donnt have to have taller valve covers. i installed mine with the stock ones. i used the harland sharp non adjustables. just bolt and go. about 15hp throughout the rpm range.

you have to really research your cam out. thats why i am going with the one i got. i can use it with my 1.7's with no problems. you are looking for a cam in the .480 lift area if you want to use the 1.7's. you could go with a 5.12 lift cam, but with the 1.7's that is gonna put you right at the max lift for a stock 360, which is like .544. and with that kind of lift you definitaly want to check piston to valve clearance.

the cam i am going with has a 119 lsa and a 37* overlap. it wont have alot of bottom end, or have a choppy idle. but it is gonna be very boost friendly. which is in my future.got a plan.

a cam swap done right is gonna cost you around 1500$. there is alot more to it than just a cam. and 1.7 rockers is gonna cost around 500$. this is doing it yourself. mine with heads and everything is gonna be about 2500$. i already have 1000$ in parts setting in garage. still gotta get heads. thats doing it myself.

now with all that said, and had to do it over again, i wouldnt even waste my time with the 1.7's.(though there is a gain, and a easy install) i would just get a cam for the lift and duration that i wanted.

sorry i didnt see this before. i usually hang out in the 2nd gen forums i am on. even though i am 3rd gen truck, 2nd gen powered.lol

i donnt see a tuner in your sig. that is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Now thats Mopar Hotrod talk right there Shiloh!

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i am NO cam expert in the slightest. i just read ALOT before buying the cam i did. i actually spent a couple months and many, many hours researching before i pulled the trigger. i just new where i was headed and what i wanted to do before hand. i think that is the biggest thing with any build. have a plan before you start. it makes chosing everything you want to get so much easier.

and to add something to my post above which i feel is important. you need to know what the base circle of your cam that you choose will be. because on regrind cams you will have to get different length pushrods. though you should measure for new pushrods no matter what cam you choose.

Last edited: