Cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KuntRRyBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started putting my motor back together today. It blew a head gasket. Well I was installing the cams, I got them both torqued down. I had the timing chains all set to go on. I noted looking at the end of the cam on the right, that the dow on the end of the cam is broke off. Can I just have it replaced or do I have to replace the cam all together?
80fd21211fdb7c1ade3319f277d17ffb.jpg
80fd21211fdb7c1ade3319f277d17ffb.jpg

Ms Gulf Coast Ruff Ryders

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dowel pins are extremely hard. The larger ones have a soft center but that one will be difficult.

You will have to remove the cam and take it to a machine shop or an auto parts store that offers complete machine shop services.

They will have to drill it out with a carbide drill or a carbide end mill, you will not be able to drill it with a standard drill bit.

There are a lot of blown up 4.7's in every junk yard, you might be able to get a cam cheaper than having that one drilled. Depends on the machine shop and the junk yard :)

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
if you are in a larger metropolitan area, you may be able to access an industrial machine shop, which can remove broken dowels. Years ago, when I was a machinist, occasionally somebody would break a tap in a part. If we weren't able to remove the shattered tap ourselves, we would take it to another machine shop, where they would "dissolve" the tap with a solution and electricity, That was almost 30 years ago, so there has to be an easier way to remove a broken dowel, now.

OP
OP
K

KuntRRyBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont, i live in the middle of "boy you sure do have a purity mouth"

Ms Gulf Coast Ruff Ryders