Catalytic converter, change or leave alone? 230k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpoppa99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got my 02' Ram 1500 5.9 back from a complete remanufactured motor job. The guy that done my motor suggested as a precautionary thing to get a new catalytic converter put on since the truck has 230k miles on it. He said that a bad or stopped up catalytic converter will make the motor run hotter than it suppose to thus causing harm to my motor. Well I took it to my local muffler shop and they suggested I wait until my truck throws a light and that the truck will have a sensor saying that the cat is bad. The price on a new cat I priced there is $310 installed. Although that is alot of money I wouldn't mind spending it only if I absolutely needed to.

My question is, what to do? Should I go ahead and change the cat regardless or wait til my truck throws a light then get one put on? Or does these things throw a light well PAST the time it needed to be changed?

Just dumped $2600 in a complete engine rebuild and it's running great and I don't want to jeopardize this motor in any way.

Please note this truck had a Flow master exhaust installed prior to me buying the truck, it has 1 catalytic converter, then goes back into the flow master then splits into dual exhaust from the flowmaster back

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents and I am not a wrench so take it with a grain of Salt ! !
If it were me with that mileage and after dumping a few k$ in the rebuild I would complete the job with a new Cat since the old one has over 200k on it, Again there may be nothing left of the guts either :eek: ,
Is the rest of the exhaust system in good shape ? And as the saying goes pay now or pay later,Truck is laid up now so what a few more hrs !

OP
OP
Bigpoppa99

Bigpoppa99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rest of the exhaust is not bad actually. While I was at muffler shop I did have them weld me on new chrome tips as mine both rusted and broke off.

Now as far as replacing my cat, to me that $310 sounds expensive, I'm an online guru and I have found many good parts for my truck online for less than half of the cost of parts stores. If I order one online I would just want to make sure I get the right one as I don't want to put the wrong one on. Are these things pretty universal or should I be real specific in choosing the correct one?

Any suggestions? I'm sure they wouldn't charge much to put one on

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
online can net you deals :) I got alot of MC parts online :) As I mentioned I am no wrench but the Cat as far as i know has to be sized right! The seller should be able to hook you up with the right one ! Hope the gear heads pop in to give you better advice

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be tagging along as I need to replace mine

speedk1ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in a similar boat with a higher mileage set of cats.....had this kit suggested as a Best Bang for the Buck replacement for the cats....as you also get a high flow Y Pipe and it's all bolt in. I'm pretty sure this is the right kit for your '02 1500 5.9L:

Federal 23959

If you want 3" down pipes instead of the 2.5" in the kit above, this kit is an upgrade:

Federal 49188

speedk1ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any suggestions? I'm sure they wouldn't charge much to put one on

Just sharing a recent experience....cat burned up in a vehicle with 2 cats, similar to the HEMI powered Ram trucks. Bought a 'universal' replacement cat for $265 then, like you, figured...."Hell, an exhaust shop won't charge that much to install it". Turned out, $125 in labor, $22 in supplies and all said and done, that one cat cost $412 + tax. The other cat is still the original and if I replace it in the same manner, I'll have spent $800+ on the pair.

:argue:

Looking at the Magnaflow cat replacement with Y pipe kits, like the ones I posted links to above, are a far better deal IMHO given I can do the work in my garage since it's all bolt on.

So, be careful with the thought that a universal cat won't cost that much to have welded in once you purchase it.