catch can on 2007 5.7 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cuhemida

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have a 2007 hemi in my truck i want to put a catch can on it but haven't found out how yet has anyone done this to there gen 3 hemi get back to me

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You need to seal off the oem pcv valve with rtf then drill out the passenger side valve cover and install an external pcv valve, the one from a 4.8L vortech will work. Once that's done, install catch can and hoses.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Instead of the trouble of modifying for a catch can on my 07 Hemi, I installed a separate washable cotton gauze air filter in the breather hose connected to the oil filler. The filter is next to the oil dipstick in this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 5,514

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can always do the "Home Depot" catch can if you wanna save some $. Grab an air compressor air/oil separator, a little bit of rubber hose, and a couple of barbed hose ends. $10-15 or so.
This is how we did them on LS1 cars:
filterrm2.jpg

hafoster_07

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
So I keep seeing mention of these catch cans...what is the purpose of installing one of these

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Instead of the trouble of modifying for a catch can on my 07 Hemi, I installed a separate washable cotton gauze air filter in the breather hose connected to the oil filler. The filter is next to the oil dipstick in this photo.

What did you use to plug the **** on your intake tube?

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I keep seeing mention of these catch cans...what is the purpose of installing one of these

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

They catch oil mist that gets out of the crankcase/valvetrain VIA the pcv valve, before it gets a chance to be sucked into the TB and intake, and burned in the cylinders.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

You haven't made any difference to the system what so ever with that except removing a hose running across the engine. All you have done is attached a filter to the fresh air make up line, the internal PCV valve is still pulling vapor from the crankcase into your intake manifold.

So I keep seeing mention of these catch cans...what is the purpose of installing one of those

Same boat... what are they hah

To remove the vapor from the crankcase from the air stream that's routed back to the intake manifold. It keeps your intake manifold clean, reduces carbon build up in the combustion chambers, and less cleaning required on the throttle body.

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/catch_can_results-12085/
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/good_read_explaining_catch_can-39697/

rubber vacuum cap on the hose barb or replace the hose barb with the appropriate NPT plug.

indy05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you do the external PCV mod does the vacuum line just hook to the intake?

Thanks,
Jeremy.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
charonnlk07,

What I did was retain my emission control devices, to pass any state inspections, and I no longer have oily vapor pulled into my CAI duct, just clean cool air, which means I no longer need to remove, clean, and reinstall my throttle body!

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I do believe that the pcv part is still putting oily vapor into your intake though. That is a different hose. That one goes to intake airbox. The other one goes to throttle body from pcv.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
^^ Correct, as I said, that is the fresh air make up line; the PCV is located at the back of the intake manifold and it's internal to the intake manifold, so it is still pulling oily vapour into the back of the intake manifold and into the engine; it will still coat the back of your throttle body.

You are correct that you aren't pulling any oily vapour into your CAI duct, but that hose should never be pulling oily vapour into the CAI duct if your PCV is working correctly as it's just the fresh air make up line and should always be pulling clean air INTO the crank case. I installed a filter directly onto the hose barb before I did the 6.1L manifold swap, but it didn't stop oil from pooling in the intake manifold from the PCV, which is the point of modifying for a catch can.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

I went to Advanced auto and purchased a vacuum port cap kit that has different size rubber caps. There were two size 5/8" and that is the size that fit my K&N CAI duct perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I wonder if they (anyone) make a "dry" filter that small for this application? How would a small KnN type oiled filter work there? I also have another question.... last time I cleaned my S and B filter, that hose had an oily residue in it and the male connection on the intake did too. I cleaned my throttle body again because it had a little oil on the back side of it even though I have a BT catch can and I keep it emptied regularly. Does this mean that I need a new pcv valve? My truck has 65,000 miles on it with TONS of idling.

Last edited:

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I do believe that the pcv part is still putting oily vapor into your intake though. That is a different hose. That one goes to intake airbox. The other one goes to throttle body from pcv.

No, my PCV system is internally plumbed, inside the intake manifold, and as long as my engine is sucking air into the manifold, oily reside isn't going to reverse direction to coat my throttle body. I also replace my PCV valve every 30K, I just did it less than 200 miles ago, at 60K. I must retain my emission controls, even though I do fudge on what I can if it helps performance.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would check out your PCV. If it's working properly then it will always be using the intake manifold's vacuum to pull from the crank case, however in high vacuum scenarios (idle) the PCV is mostly closed as there should be little blow-by so it's not pulling much through which means it's most likely pulling minor vacuum through your make up line to the filter area. This will pull oil vapour into the intake tube, and you would benefit from a filter on the FAMU in this scenario.

Any filter will work on the FAMU as long as its inlet will clamp onto the hose barb. I had a K&N on my '07 and I now have a Green Filter on my '09, both are oiled filters and they get cleaned every 2nd main filter cleaning. A dry cotton filter isn't a must, but if you plan to just throw them away then it's not a bad plan.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
No, my PCV system is internally plumbed, inside the intake manifold, and as long as my engine is sucking air into the manifold, oily reside isn't going to reverse direction to coat my throttle body. I also replace my PCV valve every 30K, I just did it less than 200 miles ago, at 60K. I must retain my emission controls, even though I do fudge on what I can if it helps performance.

When a PCV stops working properly the oil vapour pools in the bottom of the intake manifold and after a while you have visible oil build up. Now, you replace your PCV a hell of a lot more often than 99% of people, so yours is always working correctly so you shouldn't see this problem. Now, something I should note is the biggest culprit for the build up on the throttle body in the 3rd gens is from the EGR, not the PCV.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When a PCV stops working properly the oil vapour pools in the bottom of the intake manifold and after a while you have visible oil build up. Now, you replace your PCV a hell of a lot more often than 99% of people, so yours is always working correctly so you shouldn't see this problem. Now, something I should note is the biggest culprit for the build up on the throttle body in the 3rd gens is from the EGR, not the PCV.

I am considering an EGR delete kit, but I need to research doing this, before jumping into deleting the EGR valve and plumbing.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
An EGR delete is physically simple to do, there's a plate that blocks off the EGR valve and a plug that goes into the port at the rear of the manifold. The big problem is once the EGR is deleted it will throw a code and now it can only be turned off by a CMR and a custom tune unless you have a DS predator with 9r11 or earlier software, a newer programmer won't be able to delete the EGR on its own. It would however be in violation of the emissions laws in places that do have them.