CEL went away and came back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've had a CEL for about a year now for my 02 sensor. (just don't feel like changing it) Well yesterday afternoon I was driving and I noticed it was gone. So when I stopped I cycled the key to see if it was throwing the code still and it was. Got home and parked for the night got back in to head to work and it's back. Does anyone know exactly what would cause this?

Tomslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes it is called Dodge! Sorry, but 1 had a Toyota for 10 years, a Nissan for 15 years, and a Dodge for 8 months. I have had more problems in 8 months than I had in 25 years for both my other trucks. Third gen Dodge trucks are just poor quality. I can't keep mine on the road.

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes it is called Dodge! Sorry, but 1 had a Toyota for 10 years, a Nissan for 15 years, and a Dodge for 8 months. I have had more problems in 8 months than I had in 25 years for both my other trucks. Third gen Dodge trucks are just poor quality. I can't keep mine on the road.

No offense intended but yours may be poor quality. I bought mine used with 120k miles and currently have 170k. I drive my truck everyday for work. At least 500 miles a week and have never had a problem that wasn't my fault. (example. Just replaced front end components because i have my torsion keys cranked up.) I have "fun" in my truck everyday. Motor runs good. Transmission shifts like New. 4 wheel drive works. All interior components work fine. Not saying you dont take care of your as far as maintenance but thats what it all boils down to. My dodge has outlasted 3 chevys and 4 Ford's my buddies used have. Because they thought they could have fun like info in mine and not keep up on maintenance.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The o2 sensor may be fouled up. Maybe enough crud got burned off that it started working for a minute

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's throwing a code for an O2 sensor then you need to replace it. Depending on conditions and key cycles the light may go out and then come back but the problem isn't gonna go away until you address it. To be sure that the issue is the 02 sensor, you can try swapping it from one side to the other. If the code follows the sensor, that's your issue. If the code stays on the same side, you have another problem.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You can't really label an entire generation of trucks as poor quality from your sample size of 1. Honestly it sounds like your truck was ran into the ground by the previous owner and they unloaded it when it started breaking down and now you are dealing with the issues. Not Dodge's fault there.

Interestingly I had a Toyota that had constant transmission issues the entire time I owned it. Any vehicle can have problems but 90% of the time when you buy one used that turns out to be junk, it was usually caused by the previous owner(s).

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If it's throwing a code for an O2 sensor then you need to replace it. Depending on conditions and key cycles the light may go out and then come back but the problem isn't gonna go away until you address it. To be sure that the issue is the 02 sensor, you can try swapping it from one side to the other. If the code follows the sensor, that's your issue. If the code stays on the same side, you have another problem.

I agree I need to replace it. I was just wondering what would clause the light to go away and come back while still throwing a code even when the check engine light is gone

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree I need to replace it. I was just wondering what would clause the light to go away and come back while still throwing a code even when the check engine light is gone

The computer can store and show codes without the light being on, they're usually called "pending" codes.

Tomslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is hope

The o2 sensors are not expensive on EBay. A cheap sensor wrench from local auto parts store makes the job easy. Easy to access. I am very glad to hear guys like their Dodges. Gives me some hope!

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The o2 sensors are not expensive on EBay. A cheap sensor wrench from local auto parts store makes the job easy. Easy to access. I am very glad to hear guys like their Dodges. Gives me some hope!

I like anything that makes me as much money as my Ram has

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963