Changed fuse box, all hell broke loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Does anyone know if when you replace the fuse box does it have to be programmed or somthing cause now all dash lights are on, not getting fuel to rail, and now i can't even do the key trick to pull codes where as before, truck ran , I could do key trick. Now it won't start WTF.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Did you make sure to put all your fuses and relays back in the same place when you change to the new fuse box .

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yes, every fuse and relay work. I bench tested all of them before i put them in the correct position. The thing that is confusing me is that everything works, all lights work, blinkers, brake lights, flashers, radio, door locks, Windows, interior lights, power seat, etc... all that stuff works so I know the fuse box is working it's just not talking to the PCM or something I don't know.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a wiring diagram to trace what goes to what?I know this is going to be a pain and whats so funny it's going to be something so simple .I have had happen to me too.I sure hope it isn't the pcm good luck take care.

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Thanx man, yeah I know it's somthing stupid cause it ran before I did this and everything works except start.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
changing fuse box

In my book check these fuses 19# 20 amp or 20# also 20 amp fuse should be in the power control module.Color crodes on these wire is Red/white or plain red blk/gray or blk/red,green.There is a fuseable link too.Listen a fuse could look good and bad I have had that happen.some of those fuses are also breakers too.I hope this helps I have been in that situation myself and not to many know what to do.

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I've had enough messing around with this, off to shop.
I'll keep this updated if anybody wants to know.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just want to help people.

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Me too, now everyone will know that on an 02 if the fuse box is replaced it needs to be reprogrammed. There was one guy on here that said it needed reprogramming but I pm'd him about it but no response so I called dealer and they said same thing. Thanx for everybody's help in trying to figure this out with me.

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It cost 180$ to be programmed but wait for this..... that's not the only problem I've come across, now i need a new pcm 1100$!!!!!WTF......Just bought the truck 2 months ago, now for sale.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
changing fuse box

Hey ,Sorry you are having a hard time.You don't think changing out the fuse box caused a power surge and fried the pcm.You can get a remanufactured pcm somewhere around 200.00 dollars .I know right now you feel like you bought a money pit I have been there believe me more times than one.Heck I had a brand new Mustang it stayed more times in the shop than in my yard got rid of it with only 6,000 miles on it .Good luck to yourself and take care .

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hey fastf, thank you for the kind words. Yes im VERY frustrated but im still in the black on this truck so its not total loss yet, paid 3900$ for truck and I've only put maybe 500$ in it so far, you know the typical new truck to you changes i.e. oil,plugs,sensors, I guess not too too bad right now but after this fix I'm going to break even. ( if i sell it) Maybe I did fry it, who knows, anything is possible with my luck. My truck sat by the bay for a year without moving so there was alot of electrical corrosion thats why i started with tipcm first but corrosion went farther I guess. So after tipcm,pcm,wire harness I should be good. (I really hope)
Yes pcm's are cheap but to get a decent warranty I have to get it from dealer. It's really not too bad of a price considering what it is, 1100$ pcm,and harness.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The thing about a dealer is they can put it back on a shelf if that isn't it.Most parts places won't take anything electronic back.

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
My baby is home and running like new.
New pcm,tipcm,harness and all is good, no weird **** happening anymore and everything works now and even some things that never worked do now so it was worth the money.
Only thing that concerns me is that the tcm looks terrible next to the pcm, hope that doesn't take a crap on me. Any way to seal these things up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Guess what now!!! Tipcm is bad again WTF, the asd relay does not fit correctly, so I very carefully widened the relay terminals so they would be tighter, to no avail. I was looking and looking and looking, then i saw that the relay has 5 male terminal posts and the tipcm (fuse box), has 5 female terminal slots, only 3 of the 5 female terminal slots have male post receivers, so I looked at my old box and saw 4 post receivers one in each corner and new box only has 3 uuhhmn!! The 4th receiver must of fallen into the tipcm that is (none serviceable) so now another tipcm is on the way. Sux! Only good thing is that I don't have to pay anything. This company AUTOMOTIX.COM is a great place to get used parts from junk yards accross the country shipped free and all parts are replaced or refunded even electrical parts with no questions asked. If you need a replacement, they will send you a new one from where you choose and they don't even want the old part back. I think that's awesome, not many places do that for free. So now I'll have 2 sets of extra fuses and relays, nice. Probably worth more than the 135$ tipcm. So I guess I can't ***** right.

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Got the tipcm and it's in worse condition than the original so again another is on its way. Now have 3 fuse boxes full of fuses and relays. My truck runs awesome but don't like having a wire jammed in the asd relay to keep it tight. I'll keep ordering new ones till I get a clean one, they don't want the old ones back and they aren't charging me zip so win win I guess.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hang in there before you are going to be RAM TOUGH lol Boy that thing is kicking you bad I really hope you get it fixed with all the trouble you have had.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope you get that truck right it has really been kicking the crap out of you.

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah man, good thing is that it's not costing me anything for this yet. If the next one I ordered comes all corroded then I'll have to by a brand new one, 500$ :(

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963