changed plugs, found stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
changed my plugs today. first of all, what a pain lol (the drives side back set). had 2 boots rip off inside the tube. Quite a few were barely more than hand tight, one plug WAS hand tight. Most looked fine. 6 on the drivers side did not. They had a orange/rust tint on the porcelain area by the electrode. Posting pictures... please let me know what you think it is.

Also... the crankcase vent tube has a NASTY amount of oil/gunk buildup (the air filter had a lot of gunk in it from what Im assuming is the crankcase vent as well, which went into the intake/tb etc). . Also changed the pcv, which was nasty and old. The TB was very dirty, VERY VERY dirty on the inside (i had cleaned the outside before quickly). Any idea what that is or is from? Should I change the crankcase breather to a filter instead so Im not sucking up all that gunk/crap or whatever it is?

I did NOT clean inside the manifold, didnt want to go that indepth or get stuff inside the engine.

need to find a host to post the pictures*

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like a lot of lack of maintenance from the previous owner there.

Get yourself some Taylor plug wires, either the shorties or the normal ones. I know you already changed the plugs but I highly recommend using anti seize on the threads and a dab of dielectric grease in the boots to prevent the issues you had.

Crank vent tube going into the airbox should be coming out of the oil fill thingy. Yes, you can run just a small filter off that and be fine, just plug the opening on the air box lid. The crap from that vent is what causes the TB to be so dirty. If you leave it as is, you need to clean the TB about every 20k miles in my experience.

Recommend taking a close look at the belt and the replaceable pulleys if you don't know when they were done.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
already looked at the belt (its mediocre, will probably buy one to have as a spare). plan on replacing the idler pulley (it makes a little noise).

I will do that then. Dont like having that junk sucked into the motor at alllll. I dont mind a dirty tb, but what was in the intake manifold is what got me (looked like a orangeish solidified stream of just gunk/crap).

Yea, I figured lack of maintenance as well. It has 204k miles on it also.

Thank you

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you click "go advanced" under the post box, you can attach pictures using the paperclip tool.

Sounds like your truck is about to gain some mpgs back lol

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Install an oil catch can and you'll never need to clean your throttle body again.
A good read here .

www.oilcatchcan.com
oilcatchcan.com
If the link doesn't wk for you just Google it .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully. its definitely running a lot better than when I got it.

Not going with an oil catch can, had one on my trans am.

Thanks for the 'advanced' tip. I was able to. had to significantly shrink the picture haha.

Attachments

• 20170611_183244.jpg
    20170611_183244.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 42

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Oh Man, that TB looks NASTY!

I've got an intake off an '04 Ram 5.7, if you're interested just shoot me a PM.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Once you get it all buttoned back up your engine could seriously use a dose of seafoam to deal with all that buildup because your pistons, upper cylinder, and valves will look the same. The intake on my '07 looked like that as well but a couple of runs with seafoam made a huge difference to both performance and mileage. A lot of that buildup is also from the EGR mixing with the crankcase vapours from the PCV. If you want to keep the EGR then you should also pull the tube and soak with seafoam, you'd be amazed at how much carbon builds up in there and constricts the flow.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Install an oil catch can and you'll never need to clean your throttle body again.
A good read here .

Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!
oilcatchcan.com
If the link doesn't wk for you just Google it .

I thought there were issues with installing a catch can on the 03/04 hemis? Like it didn't work or took more work to get it done correctly than other years?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought there were issues with installing a catch can on the 03/04 hemis? Like it didn't work or took more work to get it done correctly than other years?
Not sure Sir ?
Maybe yours is plumbed internally ?

If you have a tube exiting the PCV and one going into the throttle body .... a catch can prior to the throttle body would be ideal .

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The PCV is internal to the intake manifold on the 3rd gens and a catch can can't be easily installed, but it can be done since I had one on my '07.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The PCV is internal to the intake manifold on the 3rd gens and a catch can can't be easily installed, but it can be done since I had one on my '07.

Yeah, just found an old thread about it that I was reading through as a reminder. Still wouldn't hurt to have a make shift catch can of sorts on the vent tube to catch the crap that comes out in "foul air mode" as you called it. Or at least an inline filter or something.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm planning on doing a seafoam treatment or 2 to it lol