Changing out valve cover gasket help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ennbee15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello folks, noob here. Just picked up a 2004 1500 slt. The guy I got it from said that the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced. I want to try to do it myself, I've searched around but can't find any specific vids or instructions that are for that year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I just realized that I may be in the wrong section. Mods please move if necessary.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If the valve cover gasket is bad you should see an oil stain/dirt on the side of the motor where it's leaking. To replace just unbolt the cover( should be 8 or 10 bolts?). Gently pry up the cover. Not sure about the 4.7, may need to disconnect a few things to get the cover off.Clean both surfaces and put in new gasket. Might consider using some high temp RTV to help it seal. If there is an oil stain under the vehicle where it's parked then hopefully its just the valve cover gasket since this is easy and cheap to fix. Welcome to RF!

OP
OP
E

Ennbee15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you, i'll be picking up a manual and i'll get right on it.:grd: