Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I recently bought a used 2007 Dodge Ram SLT 4.7L and I've driven​ it about a 1,000KM and my check engine light just popped on the last time I drove it. How do I go about figuring out what is causing it either than the obvious take it to a mechanic.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently bought a used 2007 Dodge Ram SLT 4.7L and I've driven​ it about a 1,000KM and my check engine light just popped on the last time I drove it. How do I go about figuring out what is causing it either than the obvious take it to a mechanic.

I'm not sure if you Ram will do it, but If I turn my key on and off three times, leaving the key on the third time, my codes will flash in my cluster. Write them down and give them a google or search on the forums!

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I'm not sure if you Ram will do it, but If I turn my key on and off three times, leaving the key on the third time, my codes will flash in my cluster. Write them down and give them a google or search on the forums!
Great I'll give that a try.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Thanks this worked. I got code 0456.

P0456 Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected.

I don't know how serious this is but I'll do some research and see what I come up with.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

I don't know how serious this is but I'll do some research and see what I come up with.

This could be a simple as the gas tank cap wasn't tight or the gasket on the gas tank cap itself is cracked.
Gas tank caps are cheap enough, go buy a new one. If you go-to an auto parts store, most will read the check engine light for you and something simple like this, they may even clear the code/light for you.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
This could be a simple as the gas tank cap wasn't tight or the gasket on the gas tank cap itself is cracked.
Gas tank caps are cheap enough, go buy a new one. If you go-to an auto parts store, most will read the check engine light for you and something simple like this, they may even clear the code/light for you.
Thanks I'll try that out

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hopefully it is the cap. If not, it can be a fun job finding where the small leak is. If it isn't the cap, you need to follow all lines (air lines) going to and from the tank. In my case it was a hose attached to the evap leak detection pump (drivers side under the truck looks like the star ship enterprise). I got a section of hose from the parts store and replaced it. I also replaced the crappy OEM clamps. Then, a few weeks later, the pump itself went bad (got a different code for it), I replaced it with an aftermarket Advanced Auto part.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Loose gas cap is one of the most common causes.

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
if not the gas cap its a hose on the evap canister, gotten that code on at least 6 different rams ive owned, crawled under the truck and every-time its the hose, even done it on a few friends trucks as well, if it is the case on yours go to the auto parts and get some fuel line and cut to fit...

next only use a mopar fuel cap, aftermarket caps do not seal properly

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Not a problem! I was really impressed that the truck could do that haha.

I actually have this code as well, I did a EGR valve replacement, fixed two codes but still have this one. It isn't the cap for me, I will check into the hose issue!

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
How do I clear the check engine light after I've tried replacing the gas cap?

And does anyone know a good place to buy one of the Mopar gas caps? Amazon.ca wants $85 for one.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an f-150 that was giving me the evap code. After much searching and new gas cap I finally found the problem, a squirrel had chewed a hole in the vet line that goes back up to filler neck. If all else fails most garages have what's called a smoke machine. They inject smoke into gas tank which circulates thru evac system and see where it leaks out.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Turn out to be just the cap. didn't even replace it, I just made sure the next time I filled up to have it click all the way in.

Pulled the battery terminals off for 1/2 hour and voila check engine light no more.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
give it 60+ miles before you call it licked, the gas cap is an emissions thing, they take about 60 miles to show back up...

but fingers crossed for ya!

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
give it 60+ miles before you call it licked, the gas cap is an emissions thing, they take about 60 miles to show back up...

Ahhh. Well let's hope so.

Ramx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
easy way to clear the code on my 2005 is to pull the number 23 fuse under the hood and turn the key to on like your trying to start it (it wont start with this fuse out) wait till the chimes stop... turn the key back to off... put the fuse back in...start the truck and viola code clear.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L

Did about 300km over the last few days. Still no check engine light!

Tomslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check engine light should be the name of the truck. Not ram 1500, but Dodge Check Engine Light

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45