Cold air intake recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C.Carmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello, I have. 08 Ram 1500 w/5.7L hemi. I was wondering which cold air systems you guys are using. Looking for best bang for the buck. Any input appreciated! Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
C.Carmichael

C.Carmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Highly considering the Vararam ram air. Would anyone suggest this setup?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alot will probably suggest that or the s&b intake

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Highly considering the Vararam ram air. Would anyone suggest this setup?

Do you go off-road a lot or like driving in or around water/ mud? if yes then this is NOT the intake you want. If your truck is more along the street/ strip variety then go for it. Qualityis questionable but the results are absolutely there.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The 3rd Gen Vararam is the best performing, but it pulls its air from the front bumper. This means that driving through high water is out of the question. If you are a street struck only, then you cant beat it from a performance standpoint.

If you do plan to drive through mud/high water, then take a look at the S&B. It will pull in more air than most of the other traditional style intakes, and has a fit/finish that cant be beat. It is also a little cheaper at only $299.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What all these guys have said is spot on! Count me as another vote for the Vararam. That's what I am running in my truck and I absolutely love it.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the VRA because it looks badass when the hood is up, I would go off road at any point with it, but not mudding. The others draw air from the fender opening which is about the same elevation as the VRA, just not as close to a direct shot

OP
OP
C.Carmichael

C.Carmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So for everyday driving the vararam seems to have the best votes, I don't plan on taking it through bumper deep mud/ water, but I also don't want to have to worry about hydro locking if I hit a puddle at speed. Thanks for all the input so far guys!

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've hit tons of giant puddles with my VR (we've had some really bad storms here in the past few weeks) and never once had a problem. Good luck with whatever you wind up picking. And post up pics!!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
it's not the small puddles that's an issue, it's the bumper deep ( which really isn't that deep) water that's the problem

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
:D S&B is almost as much flow, but has the really well designed, almost stock look.

OP
OP
C.Carmichael

C.Carmichael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sweet I'm thinking the s&b. I relieved tonight washing it that I may accidentally get water up there (I like to get down level with bumper and clean well)

daviddup78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have the S&B the plexiglass didnt seem to make a good fit so i went to Wal Mart and got some foam used to seal windows and put in on the lip and now i know for sure its sealed. I called S&B and sent pics and they sent me a new lid. but i still say some type of gasket needs to be on the lid to make a awesome seal on it so no air will come from the lid , only outside air. but i LOVE the S&B and looks

SgtNuzza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been lookin at the k&n but the s&b sounds and looks more my style now. I just got an 04 ram 1500 hemi and it needs some mods done to it.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've been lookin at the k&n but the s&b sounds and looks more my style now. I just got an 04 ram 1500 hemi and it needs some mods done to it.
I've had a K&N before and it about rattled every filling out of my mouth at WOT.

S&B doesn't give a lot of BS throttle noise under the hood--let your tail pipes do the rumbling not your hood. You'll actually be able to have a conversation or hear the radio under load.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What do you think about the airaid 300-220?
That's an open CAI just like the K&N. You'll get a lot of throttle noise under the hood. So if your objective is to draw attention then its suitable. If you are looking for cold dense combustin air, you can do better for the same price or less with S&B.

hyprsho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Vararam

Just to confirm, does the Vararam make a lot of noise at WOT? Is the SB quieter? What's your opinion?

Thanks. Hyprsho