Cold Starts/Idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
First off, forgive me if I didn't post this in the right section of the forum. Now, this question is for all makes and models vehicles, not just our Rams.

So obviously it's that time of year again, (Winter). And that means cold temperatures and cold starts. Now I've always believed that when it's cold out (-20 C Or Lower) especially in the mornings, that you should always start your vehicle and let it idle for 5-10 minutes to let all fluids warm up etc. But the thing is, I've always wondered about this. Does it actually benefit your engine or make it worse..?

According to what I've read online they say a very short idle time (About A Minute), then jumping in your vehicle and lightly driving it is actually better then just leaving it idle in your driveway for 5-10 minutes.

Now my question is this. Is it actually more beneficial to your engine to let it idle in your driveway for 5-10 minutes or just to jump in and drive it lightly when it's very cold out..?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I usually let it warm up for 1-2 minutes then lightly drive it. It's still cold in the truck and heat doesn't blow hot air but after 5 minutes of lightly driving it, the truck is warm.

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Anyone else have any insight on this..? More opinions the better.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have always let my vehicles idle after startup for a couple of minutes, and in cold weather about 2 to 3 minutes. Remember an engine sees the most wear on startup. Drive it normal for the first few miles.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
(FYI : Based out of Montreal Canada, so I know a thing or 2 about cold winter driving...)

Because of all of the Emission stuff loaded on these vehicles, they recycle a lot of "Dirt gasses". Since this is even worse at Idle, you are recirculating a lot more carbon and fouling material in your engine at idle, than at highway speeds.

That being said 10 minutes is on the long side and I believe 1 minute is on the short side.

The way I look at it is is the following, In the winter, I let it warm up for the time it takes me to clean the snow off the truck and then lightly drive it until the engine reaches its operating temp. The other reason why you don't want to slam down on the gas in cold weather, even after a few minutes is that even though the engine is warm enough to have the oil circulate and do its job, the tranny oil does not really get up to temp until you start driving the truck a little so that all the inside of the tranny gets properly lubed up.

I say just use common sense, don't abuse the truck while it is dead cold and let it warm a little before driving it.

Also one very important thing, it is almost worst if your commute does not allow the engine and tranny to warm up to operating temperature. You are almost better to extend your drive a mile or two to make sure everything is warmed up before you turn the key off. Not getting the engine to operating temp will generate a lot of condensation and moisture in the oil, rending it acidic and degrading a lot faster as well as potentially causing corrosion in the engine's internal.

Hope this helps

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes i as well am part of the get in and go easy band wagon. I almost Always hit the O/D off button and cruise down the road at 70 kmh for a few minutes.
Easy cruising for 5 minutes warms it up more than 15 minutes of idle and probably takes less gas.
And like stated before cold startup idle is the the point where most wear occurs, along with fuel dilution of the oil.

Lenarde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't let mine idle for very long either. I'll start it up put my things in the back seat and/or clear the windows and light. Then jump in and drive it lightly until the engine is in normal running temps (usually within 5 minutes).

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. Seems like the research did is pretty valid then from what you guys have said.

Unfortunately I'm one of those bad idling people. Guess it's a habit I'll have to try and break. As for my commute to work, it's a short one. Only takes me about 5-6 minutes to get to work. So it doesn't give my vehicles very long to warm up when I drive it to work.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. Seems like the research did is pretty valid then from what you guys have said.

Unfortunately I'm one of those bad idling people. Guess it's a habit I'll have to try and break. As for my commute to work, it's a short one. Only takes me about 5-6 minutes to get to work. So it doesn't give my vehicles very long to warm up when I drive it to work.

Try taking a different route to work that would take at least 15 minutes. I use to take 3 random routes to work each week to work, and a different one going home. It was a military thing that I did until I retired.

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Thing is I live in a small town, roughly 4500 to 5000 people. The town itself isn't very big, 3.2 KM/s is the total distance around town using the main drag. So unless I were to drive down various side streets that would be the only way to extend my commute. And the speed limit here in town is 40 KPH, everywhere.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thing is I live in a small town, roughly 4500 to 5000 people. The town itself isn't very big, 3.2 KM/s is the total distance around town using the main drag. So unless I were to drive down various side streets that would be the only way to extend my commute. And the speed limit here in town is 40 KPH, everywhere.

I see your point, you would burn a lot of fuel driving around the block for 10 to 15 minutes. I will not hurt to let it idle for 5 minutes before you start to drive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963