Computer tuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnoRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 05 Ram 1500 4.7L and have been researching computer tuners and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on what to get. thanks.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Superchips if your not gonna do an aggressive cam. Diablo "choked a little sayin that" if your gonna need a custom tune for a cam. I've had both, didn't have issues till I got rid of the diablo and went back to superchips. Does funky things when you reset to stock.

OP
OP
SnoRider

SnoRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the suggestion bigtigga84. thanks for the welcome too. I was looking on superchips website their VIVID tuner is pretty cool cause it uses Android OS (I have an HTC Evo so I could run it using my phone). Gotta love technology!

bmfram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
the new technology is unbelivable , i went the sct way and it made a big difference , i dont know about the 4.7 but the new one for the hemi even has trans tunning.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Superchips is gonna be your best bet bud. Should do everything you need to do unless you open up your motor. The SC might even run the HO cams for the 4.7s but its hit or miss on those.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran a SC3865, DS Predator and DS Trinity in my '05 Ram with 5.7 Personally I liked the Diablo better. Felt like it had a little more power than the SC.

I have also ran a SC3865, SC3815 and the DS Trinity in my wifes '07 Durango with 4.7 They both feel about equal power wise. I did get a little better fuel mileage (0.5 mpg) average with Diablo. The only thing I did not like about the SC (which I am still running) is that I cannot mess with my tire size on the D. If I adjust it, the traction control, ABS, and stability control lights come on on the dash. The Diablo did not do that.

moparman33

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QCSB 4X4
Engine
4.7L magnum
I got a question. I know the vivid uses a "dongle" as they call it to keep plugged into your obd2 to use as a bluetooth connection point to adjust your settings. But on the sc3865 do you have to keep it hooked into the obd2 or do you just connect, adjust, and disconnect??

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a question. I know the vivid uses a "dongle" as they call it to keep plugged into your obd2 to use as a bluetooth connection point to adjust your settings. But on the sc3865 do you have to keep it hooked into the obd2 or do you just connect, adjust, and disconnect??

You do not have to keep the vivid connected. You can load the tune then unplug. But keeping it connected will let you monitor various parameters like the diablo trinity can do

OP
OP
SnoRider

SnoRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the info. Getting a tuner might be in the near future. I want to install the audio stuff first (i have only had my truck for a week and already miss having my Ipod and subs). Hopefully here in the next couple months when its starts getting consistently warm here, I'll start work on the stereo system for my truck.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a Hypertech for my Ram and I like it. I am not sure what other ones offer as this one I used on my '05 Durango and with update worked on Ram. It allows me to do gear, speed limiter, speedo, (stock, Regular fuel, Premium) and very easy to use. I personally do not use the premium program gas is too much but regular program puts hemi over 400hp and I love the ability to change speedo back and forth for summer and winter rims. When my 4.56's get here from group purchase we will see how the gear change programming helps or if it even matters.