Coolant Leak from hose, what hose is this? (plus a few extra questions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ic3man5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I bought a 2004 5.7L RAM and have a few issues I need to work out:

1.) I have a coolant leak from a hose that looks like its coming from the lower smaller radiator (In front of the main big one). The line looks metal and then goes to a hose with a spring clamp on it and this is where its leaking from. Whats the name of this hose and clamp? It runs along side what I believe is the power steering hose. I've tried going to a parts store to find out what this is and the guy refused to help and told me its the water pump... (There isn't any leaking coming from this area.)

2.) The pulley on the alternator is making noises (Same sound that I usually hear from a bad belt tensioner). Is there a way to replace just the pulley or am I stuck replacing the whole unit?

3.) Idle seems to drop to about 400ish when the truck has come to a stop after moving, bumping the steering wheel jumps it back up to around 600 or normal idle. Any common things to check on why this is? I had a 2000 4.7L Dakota that did the same thing when the throttle body needed to be cleaned out. Idle isn't rough or anything when it drops, just annoying (Alternator doesn't like it when I have headlights on and blower on full blast though).

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS. sorry if this has been asked before, but it hard to search when you don't know the name to search for!

Edit: I can get pictures if need, just prefer not to as its 32 degrees out side!

OP
OP
I

ic3man5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Found a random youtube video and took a screenshot. Drew a red arrow pointing to the two lines/radiator. I find it hard to believe one of these is a coolant line...

Edit: Looked up some stuff and that is the power steering cooler, Since it would be really bad if these lines were leaking coolant instead of power steering fluid I think the radiator might be leaking on to these hoses... I'm going to take another look later and see if I can see anything on the radiator.

Attachments

• radiator.JPG
    radiator.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: