Is this the correct Y pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeyDBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all, I am interested in knowing if this is the correct Y Pipe for my 2004 Quad Cab 1500 2 wheel drive with the Hemi. It has a Borla Cat Back installed before I purchased the truck at about 100K miles. The truck has been great since I got it and has nothing wrong with it. Literally nothing. This is my first Dodge vehicle and I have to say I am very satisfied with this truck. It has a ton of power and a ton of torque, I can pull a trailer with out really feeling it and the breaks on this truck are fantastic.

The mileage is the the only issue. It is always very bad around 10 MPG or less. I have the Borla Cat Back and a Airaid intake, The Mark VII electric fan upgrade and a throttle body spacer. I have the 4 speed auto trans and the 3.55 rear end with slightly over sized 285 17 tires on the factory wheels. I am about to turn 140 K on the odometer any day now. I cant see why the mileage would be so poor. I hear of other owners that say they get significantly different mileage. Hence My inquiring about the Y pipe.
untitled.html

It looks to me if its just pounded together to fit. If the exhaust system is about flow, this looks like a bottleneck in the system.

Thanks so much

NHDuckHunter8003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 5.9
I can't open the link because I'm using my phone but the stock "y pipe" is absolute garbage for sure. I think you'll see some mpg gains with it given your current mods but I think it really comes into play when you add stuff like headers and tb's.

Last edited:

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Swapped out my stock Y pipe for a Magnaflow 2 1/2" in 3" out. Made a world of difference and my truck has 98K on the clock. I would highly suggest it!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I can't see what you posted but typically this is what is used to open the choke point.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-10778

The 3:55 gear and the bigger tires are also killing the mileage. IMO, 4:56 gear will help you with the taller tires and improve your mileage..