Cruise control not working after Superchips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cyndric

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all!

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L with 61k miles that I got a few months ago.

I've recently added a Superchips 3842 Flashpaq Tuner and did a "Quick tune" to the 87 Octane mode and i am getting great performance from it. However, since installing the tuner my cruise control shuts off once I reach 47mph, and will not turn back on when I push the button until I have slowed down to lower than 47mph. The cruise control worked perfect before installing the tuner. So, I reset the truck to stock settings using the same tuner and the trucks performance has went back to stock, but my cruise control still shuts off at 47mph.

After reading online i decided to try to adjust the tire size through the tuners advanced tuning mode. I measured my tires and set the tuner to the correct size but didn't do any other changes in the tuner, all stock settings except tire size. No change, cruise still shuts off at 47mph.

Next I set the tire size about 1.5 inches bigger than my tires actually are just to see if there was any change, and there was. Now the cruise control works until i reach 66mph and then shuts off, and my speedometer is also now about 3mph faster than what my stereos GPS says i'm going.

So yesterday i reset the truck back to stock using the tuner, then I took my truck to the local Dodge dealer and asked them to flash the pcm to factory settings. Upon hooking it up to their computers, they said everything looked stock, including gear ratio/tire size, and they didn't feel comfortable re flashing the trucks computer because it could brick the computer and then i'd have to buy a new one. I was very confused on how he could brick it by re flashing the stock flash onto it, and he couldn't answer me as to how that could possibly happen, he said "that's just what my tech told me". So sadly I left with no solution and nothing else to try.

So, now that I am out of things to try I am really hoping someone here can give me some ideas on how to fix the cruise control. I'm going out of state for Thanksgiving and it would be great if I could set the cruise and have one less thing to worry about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much!

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Hello all!

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L with 61k miles that I got a few months ago.

I've recently added a Superchips 3842 Flashpaq Tuner and did a "Quick tune" to the 87 Octane mode and i am getting great performance from it. However, since installing the tuner my cruise control shuts off once I reach 47mph, and will not turn back on when I push the button until I have slowed down to lower than 47mph. The cruise control worked perfect before installing the tuner. So, I reset the truck to stock settings using the same tuner and the trucks performance has went back to stock, but my cruise control still shuts off at 47mph.

After reading online i decided to try to adjust the tire size through the tuners advanced tuning mode. I measured my tires and set the tuner to the correct size but didn't do any other changes in the tuner, all stock settings except tire size. No change, cruise still shuts off at 47mph.

Next I set the tire size about 1.5 inches bigger than my tires actually are just to see if there was any change, and there was. Now the cruise control works until i reach 66mph and then shuts off, and my speedometer is also now about 3mph faster than what my stereos GPS says i'm going.

So yesterday i reset the truck back to stock using the tuner, then I took my truck to the local Dodge dealer and asked them to flash the pcm to factory settings. Upon hooking it up to their computers, they said everything looked stock, including gear ratio/tire size, and they didn't feel comfortable re flashing the trucks computer because it could brick the computer and then i'd have to buy a new one. I was very confused on how he could brick it by re flashing the stock flash onto it, and he couldn't answer me as to how that could possibly happen, he said "that's just what my tech told me". So sadly I left with no solution and nothing else to try.

So, now that I am out of things to try I am really hoping someone here can give me some ideas on how to fix the cruise control. I'm going out of state for Thanksgiving and it would be great if I could set the cruise and have one less thing to worry about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much!
Try contacting Superchips?

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Cyndric

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I emailed them twice, once about it not giving me the option to purchase the advanced transmission options when I plug the tuner into the computer and open the software, and once about this, with no response each time.

I figured i'd try here before calling them.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't measure your tires manually. Plug in the tire size to a calculator and get that diameter, then adjust it to that diameter. Your cruise isn't working because it the speed sensors are getting conflicting information. If that still doesn't work, have the pinion factor entered into the PCM without the tuner (if you're close to MD I can do this).

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was opposite. My cruise was not working. Replaced brake switch and worked for one day, then stopped again. Then installed my SC tuner and adjusted Speedo to tire size. Cruise works perfect now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Cyndric

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't measure your tires manually. Plug in the tire size to a calculator and get that diameter, then adjust it to that diameter. Your cruise isn't working because it the speed sensors are getting conflicting information. If that still doesn't work, have the pinion factor entered into the PCM without the tuner (if you're close to MD I can do this).

Ok so my tires are 265/70/17 and online says that's 31.6" diameter. My tuner goes from 31.5" to 31.75" in the settings. I set it to 31.5" and the cruise works until 61mph. At 31.75" it stays on until 66mph, at 32.00" setting in the tuner cruise stays on until 71mph and 32.25" is 76mph, etc.

The weird part is, now that the Dodge dealer has plugged it into their computer, my speedometer stays correct at all of those 4 tire size settings that I tried. Well at 32.25" my speedometer is off by 1mph according to my GPS, and 32.50" setting its off by 2mph.

So, since I never go faster than 75mph anyways, and that's only on the tollway (I'm in Illinois), I am ok with leaving it set to 32.25" on the tuner, but will that mess anything else up or is it ok to do that?

Obviously it would be best if the cruise worked like it should with the proper tire size setting, but I don't know what the pinion factor is or who could do that around here. Clearly Dodge isn't interested in helping out.

Thank you for your help so far!!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Go here:
Tire size calculator
Plug in your tire size and see what it says for revs/mile (this will be your pinion factor number).

OP
OP
C

Cyndric

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, it said the rev/mile is 638. The local dealer clearly didn't want anything to do with it last time, so there's another Dodge dealer a few towns away, I think i'll go there and see if they'll do it next week when I get back home. Going out of state for Thanksgiving tomorrow.

I'll report back. Thank you!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I take it you aren't anywhere near MD lol?