Curious about RPM's when in Drive...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I've noticed something about my truck and not sure if it's something that can be corrected or modified.

I've noticed when my truck has been driven, I come to a stop light and the RPM stays around 6-700 then it goes down to 500 and just a tad lower sometimes. AC is off, truck in Drive, foot on the brake and it makes this strange "whine" noise, not a loud whine but it's noticeable to me.

However, If I hold my foot on the brake and slightly tap the throttle it goes back up to 6+ and stays there..

Any thoughts to what this might be? Is there an idle adjustment somewhere that can be modified? Should I be looking at replacing/repairing anything? I clean the throttle body once a year, remove it completely and clean it, haven't had a tune up yet because it doesn't misfire or any other issues, has a new OE alternator about a year ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
-Sam