Custom exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubba_gump94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to do a custom exhaust on my truck. Took off the stock muffler yesterday. Basically running just the cats. Sounds good, but I know it can be better. Talked to a mechanic at my work what he would suggest doing to make it louder but keep that deep raspy tone. Asked him what muffler I should go with and if I should throw a glass pack on as well as a muffler. He suggested a few options but guided me in the direction of getting some more advice and opinions from a forum site like this. Also I would like to do a side dump on both sides of the truck in front of the rear tires. Both headers come to one single pipe. I haven't taken any measurements on my pipe size. Truck is completely stock. Hopefully looking to build on a budget, no more than $150 or so if at all possible. Would like to spend no more then $300 on this project if it came to that. What ever information you guys have would be greatly appreciated. The guy I talked to said I may run into a few tuning tweeks I may need to do after installing it. Something to do with my fuel ratio? Forgot what he said but it had to do with making it a little bit richer. Tuning the fuel to the engine to get the best performance with the new system. Appreciate the time and information, thanks!

OP
OP
B

Bubba_gump94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, it's a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4 crew cab. 5.7 v8

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No glasspack. cheap garbage. Spend a bit more on a good muffler. Listen to videos on youtube to find a tone you like.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you want raspy sound over a deep rumble sound go with a borla or magnaflow muffler. If you want it louder dump the pipes at the axle and call it good. May get excessive drone though

OP
OP
B

Bubba_gump94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok! No glasspacks. Got it. I will look into looking at videos. I have watched a couple and found a few sounds I've liked. The guy I was talking to said it's all trial and error. Thanks guys. Keep it coming. If y'all have anything else the more the merrier!!!

John_curry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Flowmaster

I have my 5.9 running a true dual no cat setup with flowmaster 40s and 6 inch tips and it's loud but deep I love it

OP
OP
B

Bubba_gump94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you do the cat work? Wanted to chop mine off but I have sensors out the yin yang. 2 on each side. 1 before and one after each cat.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
if you want raspy sound over a deep rumble sound go with a borla or magnaflow muffler. If you want it louder dump the pipes at the axle and call it good. May get excessive drone though

over the last 30 years of playing with adult toys I have never enjoyed the raspy sound so I have stayed away from the likes of Corsa. I have to say my Magnaflow 14's paired with a 5.7 have nothing like the raspy sound you mentioned, strangely the 10's from Flowmaster did not agree with my 6.4 ie raspy higher up in the rpm's however the 40's got along with my 2005 Mustang GT perfectly. Sound is subjective needless to say, my eyesight is crapola however my hearing is spot on so say my doctors:favorites13:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
over the last 30 years of playing with adult toys

Might want to reword that :roflsquared:

But strange, my super10 muffler has no rasp to it at all and all the Hemi's I have heard with both borla and magnaflow have the sound. I'm not a fan of it. I like a good throaty rumble. Might be a combo of a few things some may have had resonators on them that made the sound...

If when I put headers on and the x-pipe they sound raspy I will switch mufflers.

OP
OP
B

Bubba_gump94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I should look to maybe going with the MagnaFlow 14's then?