Custom push rods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gimpster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
When I had my 260 cam installed, I replaced the stock pushrods with some 6.1 push rods. Thinking I could probably use the extra strength. Well, now I've been hearing I could benefit from some custom-cut pushrods.

Are these absolutely necessary? and if so, do I need to have someone measure what I need?

Will they quiet down my valvetrain? (because the hemi tic does seem to have gotten louder)

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
custom pushrods arent generally required for most mild cam installations (the 260 being one of them). you should be fine with your 6.1 pushrods. I'm running 6.1 pushrods with my KRC 210 and have zero issues.

I cant speak for whether or not it would quiet down the tick, but i kinda doubt it.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
When the 260 was installed was a liberal amount of assembly lube put on both ends of the pushrods? Custom cut fordged rods are only really needed for regrinds like I used to have. The reason I ask about the lube is because its designed to help break in of those parts to keep them from gulling.

OP
OP
gimpster

gimpster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
When the 260 was installed was a liberal amount of assembly lube put on both ends of the pushrods? Custom cut fordged rods are only really needed for regrinds like I used to have. The reason I ask about the lube is because its designed to help break in of those parts to keep them from gulling.

No assembly lube just synthetic oil.

OP
OP
gimpster

gimpster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
lube is pretty important. could be a reason for a louder tick. What about your cam? Was lube put on it??

Just a liberal amount of oil. I wonder if this could be why my tick is getting louder.

OP
OP
gimpster

gimpster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
im no pro so i cant tell you for sure, but i do know its pretty important to coat the cam in assembly lube pretty well before it gets installed

I hear ya. I was reassured that "because it was a roller, that motor oil was sufficient". I can deal w/ new push rods and maybe new lifters. I just don't want to have the engine taken apart again. Can't really afford to now.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The cam is gonna have marking on it because of the lack of assem lube, willing to bet all of the pushrods are gonna be gulled over also. Gulling is gonna A) make them shorter and B) cut down on the amount of oil passing through them. I would pull the covers and valve train to slip in some new rods, there bout $30 for a set online. You might just might be ok on the lifters but IDK... when I did my motor both times I went through a big tube of lube to help strengthen and seat in everything.