Custom tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
Alright I know we all like performance and increasing horse power and torque, but i am wondering if there is anyone who does custom tunes with MPG in mind. I ask because i have a 4000 mile road trip planed and i figure the hemi is going to be set on cruise for most of the time. So if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The more aggressive tuning actually offers the best mileage. The downside to this is that they require you to run higher octane fuel.

OP
OP
R

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
i already run 91 (best i can get in CA) but I run my trinity on the MPG booster to get my best MPG. May have to try the performance tune with the granny style driving.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Take a look at the water/**** sites and see what they say about mpg issues. Using the wtr/**** injection on a NA engine allows you to run lower octane fuel with the benefits of the higher octane provided by the alcohol (116) this is only injected when the engine is under load to protect it when I t is most likely to knock. Also works by cooling the inlet charge and is easy to find and buy using -30 windshield washer fluid. 49/51% water/methanol. I have been using it for over a year without knock or issues.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a look at the water/**** sites and see what they say about mpg issues. Using the wtr/**** injection on a NA engine allows you to run lower octane fuel with the benefits of the higher octane provided by the alcohol (116) this is only injected when the engine is under load to protect it when I t is most likely to knock. Also works by cooling the inlet charge and is easy to find and buy using -30 windshield washer fluid. 49/51% water/methanol. I have been using it for over a year without knock or issues.

That's interesting. I've only heard of it being used in boosted applications. Hmm. I wonder how much one of those water **** injection systems are? Haha

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
The more aggressive tuning actually offers the best mileage. The downside to this is that they require you to run higher octane fuel.

Completely agree, the performance based tunes actually give you better mpg than the detuned mpg tunes. The way to get the most mpg out if your vehicle is to make it run the best that it can, the mpg tunes do not do that, the performance tunes make the truck run more efficiently which equals more mpg. I don't know what gas prices are elsewhere but her the difference for a full tank of 87 vs a full tank of 91 is around $4-$5 , not a whole lot difference overall but the mug increases between the two mure than makes up for the cost of a (1) value meal at a local fast food place.

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i thought that tuners where illegal in CA lol might wanna keep that on the down low

OP
OP
R

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
i thought that tuners where illegal in CA lol might wanna keep that on the down low

I think any modification that is not a factory option is considered illegal here. They dont realy enforce it unless you are being stupid. Plus i am going to be geting it registered back in WI (my home state) soon. Screw your smog CA and bring on long tubes in the future....

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
how would they be able to tell if it was tuned? it's just the programming in the truck.

OP
OP
R

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
They really would not be able to, however when illegal street races get busted out here they measure the distance from the ground to the front bumper (usually to low) from there they open the hood and stat looking for carb stickers. which in most cases aren't there, from there the car gets impounded... Hence why i cant wait to get my truck registered in WI. And the much much much cheaper registration fee. Over 200 buck last year to register the ram and that was with a military discount of sorts.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I get better MPGs with my current setup but like the others have said comes with having to buy 93.