Decking cylinder heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone on here done this? Been thinking about .003 off the heads to up the compression a little. Would it be worth it? What would the compression be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
There are several hemi builders that do it and if you don't want to go as far as doing the Eagle head swap then it's a viable alternative. While you're at it doing a port job is always a good idea. I had Inertia Motorsports do the heads on my '07 before I did the Eagle head swap.

OP
OP
Ajwalk2008

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are several hemi builders that do it and if you don't want to go as far as doing the Eagle head swap then it's a viable alternative. While you're at it doing a port job is always a good idea. I had Inertia Motorsports do the heads on my '07 before I did the Eagle head swap.

Eagle head swap? First I've heard of this

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Sorry for the stupid question....what is decking cylinder heads?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the stupid question....what is decking cylinder heads?

Basically it levels the head to the block deck and shaves just a little off lessening the combustion chamber ever so slightly upping the compression ration ever so slightly.

Aside from a perfectly level surface job this can also be done with head gaskets. We would do similar things with the head gaskets on the top fuel cars depending on track conditions and elevation to raise or lower the comp ratio boost or retard performance so to say

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Basically it levels the head to the block deck and shaves just a little off lessening the combustion chamber ever so slightly upping the compression ration ever so slightly.

Aside from a perfectly level surface job this can also be done with head gaskets. We would do similar things with the head gaskets on the top fuel cars depending on track conditions and elevation to raise or lower the comp ratio boost or retard performance so to say

Great explanation. Thanks !!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone on here done this? Been thinking about .003 off the heads to up the compression a little. Would it be worth it? What would the compression be?

There's a local place here that will do it for $125. Not bad for a few ponies.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow that's some good numbers for the head swap...
Does it require a custom tune?

I'd say yes, but I'm sure there are people who say its not needed... but in my opinion any time you change air/fuel delivery, timing or comp ratio/ combustion volume one should re-tune a fuel injected motor. or rejet/tune a carburated motor

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360

I was reading on the LX Forum that milling the heads .030 would take your CR from 9.6:1 to about 10.3:1 so milling them .003 would get you less than 9.7:1. When I had my heads resurfaced at the shop I think they shaved off .003-.005.

OP
OP
Ajwalk2008

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was reading on the LX Forum that milling the heads .030 would take your CR from 9.6:1 to about 10.3:1 so milling them .003 would get you less than 9.7:1. When I had my heads resurfaced at the shop I think they shaved off .003-.005.

So basically it wouldn't be worth it doing .003. If you did .030 you would have to do that much shorter on the push rods right?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So basically it wouldn't be worth it doing .003. If you did .030 you would have to do that much shorter on the push rods right?

when you go that much you should measure the required pushrod length, assuming the length because of a shorter head height might get you close but you may still be too short/long. Places like Trend have length checkers for $30 and .080 wall forged rods are like $5 each. Trend also has lengths in .025 increments where Comp only has .050 lengths