Did I damage my head beyond repair? *pic*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 4.7 Quad Cab
Engine
2005 Ram 4.7 160k miles quad cab. All stock.

I was changing my timing chains and while changing the guide on the driver's side, I started tightening the guide pivot bolt when it just broke. The top part of the threaded hole just broke off the head in pieces. Can it be repaired? Or is it head replacement time?

I wasnt even to torque specs when it broke :suicide

Attachments

• 20150404_180306.jpg
    20150404_180306.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 162

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have a look at this post in thread just little lower in the list :

http://www.ramforum.com/f50/03_ram_1500_4_7_engine_tick-58257/#post982882

Seems like a good Machine shop would be able to solve your problem.

If that does not work for you and you want to change your heads, have a look at the ones from Powertrain Products. They have corrected a lot of the OEM flaws for the 4.7 heads (actually the engine all together, but they have the heads only) and are well worth the $$$.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
J

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the reply. I was hoping a machine shop could fix it, but it depends on how much too. I can get a rebuilt head from ebay for 200 bucks shipped...decisions time. Either way it looks like the head has to come off so I got my project for tomorrow.

Chrysler:flipthebird:

Have a look at this post in thread just little lower in the list :

http://www.ramforum.com/f50/03_ram_1500_4_7_engine_tick-58257/#post982882

Seems like a good Machine shop would be able to solve your problem.

If that does not work for you and you want to change your heads, have a look at the ones from Powertrain Products. They have corrected a lot of the OEM flaws for the 4.7 heads (actually the engine all together, but they have the heads only) and are well worth the $$$.

Keep us posted.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't believe the guy in the refereed post removed his head from the engine. You might be able to get away from that thus reducing the cost/time of the actual repair.

Keep in mind heads ar a sensitive and critical part of the engine. I'm not sure I would entrust my engine to an eBay shop, unless they have a reputable shop.
These are common issues with poorly rebuilt heads :
DSC00201.jpg.html

The 4.7L heads are especially sensitive and if you are rebuilding one, I would strongly recommend doing both to balance the engine. The tolerances on this engine are almost race like, so it makes it even more important to maintain everything sort of balanced, otherwise you risk further damages elsewhere.

It's your call but my 2 cents.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
Here are a couple more pics of the part. I don't know if you can tell but there is 2 bolts going down through the part into the head plus the camshaft bolt at the top.

I also did not take the head out. I just put a cloth sheet over the engine to keep the salt and dust out while on the road.

It took the machinist about 4 to 5 hours max to figure out what had to be made and make it. He is an expert at this stuff!!!:roflsquared: Cant help bragging a bit. He is my Uncle:favorites13:

Attachments

• 20150221_070348.jpg
    20150221_070348.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20150221_100921.jpg
    20150221_100921.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20150221_165124.jpg
    20150221_165124.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20150221_165230.jpg
    20150221_165230.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 73
  • _DSC3593.jpg
    _DSC3593.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are a couple more pics of the part. I don't know if you can tell but there is 2 bolts going down through the part into the head plus the camshaft bolt at the top.

I also did not take the head out. I just put a cloth sheet over the engine to keep the salt and dust out while on the road.

It took the machinist about 4 to 5 hours max to figure out what had to be made and make it. He is an expert at this stuff!!!:roflsquared: Cant help bragging a bit. He is my Uncle:favorites13:

Thanks for the pictures, I am going to print them out and take them to a machine shop and see if they can make one for me. Its going to be tough without them having the head. I guess I can tow it there if I have to since towing is free from my ins. Anything to avoid taking off the head! I also want to get this done before the Texas heat gets here..its MISERABLE.

Your uncle did a great job, you should be bragging. Thanks to both of you guys, Ill keep you posted :)

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad they help! He did do a bit of filing on the head to make it 90 degrees. Make sure you catch all the filings if they do that. It was quite tight but lots better then taking the head off!!

"the Texas Heat" We had the opposite problem.....it was extremely cold!! like -25C or -13F

Keep us posted!!

OP
OP
J

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad they help! He did do a bit of filing on the head to make it 90 degrees. Make sure you catch all the filings if they do that. It was quite tight but lots better then taking the head off!!

"the Texas Heat" We had the opposite problem.....it was extremely cold!! like -25C or -13F

Keep us posted!!

I went to a few machine shops and none of them would touch it so I guess its time to find a rebuilt head.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The really sucks!! Let us know how it all goes.....

OP
OP
J

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The really sucks!! Let us know how it all goes.....

Yea man, it really does suck! Oh well, try not to get discouraged and move on, right? lol

Anyways, I can't post in the wanted section so if you guys know anyone selling 4.7 left (drivers) head, please let me know!

:favorites13:

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just glad that i was able to get it fixed with out taking the heads off!! Right....lol. That is all you can do.

OP
OP
J

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just glad that i was able to get it fixed with out taking the heads off!! Right....lol. That is all you can do.

Yup, you're lucky. Its good when you have people around you that know good tools of the trade!

I bought my rebuilt head off ebay tonight, will be here thursday. Yay, more work lol

I dont have to send the core back so maybe ill ebay that one for you know 99 cents lol lol

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, I sure am glad i do!!. :roflsquared:. That is how it goes, small job almost always grows into a bigger one. If it does not you think your doing something wrong.....

Ha ha sell it as a paper weight lol:flipthebird:

OP
OP
J

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, I sure am glad i do!!. :roflsquared:. That is how it goes, small job almost always grows into a bigger one. If it does not you think your doing something wrong.....

Ha ha sell it as a paper weight lol:flipthebird:

Well, as you said, small job turns into a big one. I made a potentially big mistake by buying a cylinder head rebuilt, on ebay for 250, but it doesn't have the EGR. I thought it meant that it didnt come with the EGR. :mad

So now that leads me to two questions. The only difference seems to be the EGR isnt drilled into the new head, can I just drill a copy hole for the EGR and bolts? Or does the EGR port hole not just caped off, but not drilled all the way. I mean it would be much easier to just drill through the metal "lid" so to speak.

Also, I hate the EGR, but I don't want to deal with the MIL light being on constantly. IS there a reasonably priced way to delete the code out of the PCM?

Thanks for the help guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio