Differential Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NRWhiteKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Complete Rear End Swap

Hello everyone,

My 03 Ram 1500 QC 2WD has a whine from the rear end. It has had this since I bought it and now I am looking to replace the differential. According to my build sheet, it had the 9.25 Corporate LD diff, 3:55 ratio. I haven't the tools or the place as I live in an apartment (though I might be able to "borrow" a place) to perform a rebuild and it might be less expensive to find a used diff to swap out.

What I am wondering is what year models will be, more or less, a direct swap? Does the "Corporate LD" mean it's limited slip?

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, LD = Light Duty (it's a 1500). Any 02 to 08 1500 9.25 with a 3.55 will be bolt in/plug and play. Since you have a 2wd, you could (if you wanted to) swap in a 3.92 for better acceleration/towing power.

OP
OP
N

NRWhiteKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the reply, Hemi. Would an older rear end be the same, say out of a 2000 or 2001? Also, if I went with the 3.92, am I correct in presuming that a speedo calibration would be needed?

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything before 2002 will have drum brakes. You want to keep your disc brakes. Dealer can reprogram for the different gears.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By swapping the diff, are you talking the whole axle or just the diff itself? Swapping diffs isn't as easy as just removing one and installing a new one. You need to know how to set up gears, ie pinion depth, bearing preload and backlash, etc.

Last edited:

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, LD = Light Duty (it's a 1500). Any 02 to 08 1500 9.25 with a 3.55 will be bolt in/plug and play. Since you have a 2wd, you could (if you wanted to) swap in a 3.92 for better acceleration/towing power.

Define "bolt in/plug and play"...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Define "bolt in/plug and play"...
Dunno if I can dumb that phrase down any more...will directly bolt in place of your existing rear with no modifications necessary. That work for ya?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't just swap diffs, it doesn't work that way. Tolerances change from every axle. He'd still need to set up the gears properly which would require a lot more work. Not something you can do at an apartment parking lot...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can't just swap diffs, it doesn't work that way. Tolerances change from every axle. He'd still need to set up the gears properly which would require a lot more work. Not something you can do at an apartment parking lot...

The WHOLE rear, dummy lol, flange to flange.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's why I asked the question of diff or whole axle.

Diff = Gear set/carrier

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes I know. I never said the word differential, but thank you for trying to show us how smart you are lol

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually the OP only mentioned "swapping diffs" and doing a "rebuild". And you yourself didn't specify the whole rear end. Not trying to have a ******* match, just want the OP To understand there's a huge difference. I appreciate your sarcasm though.... [emoji849]

OP
OP
N

NRWhiteKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I apologize for any confusion. Yes, I meant the whole rear end assembly, housing and all, not just the carrier. And I can't do the change here at my apartment anyway as it's against the rules. It sucks, but I do understand the reasoning for the rule as well as I am sure the work would take at least a day to do, presuming I had everything I needed. lol

I am looking at cost, as well as I do not know of the proper type of shop to have the work performed if I wanted to have it rebuilt anyway. Would I take it to a trans shop for that? I spoke to one general service shop about 4 miles from me and they won't rebuild it. I may be able to get then to swap complete rear ends tho. End result is it may cost the same to swap the rear end as to rebuild, unless I do the swap myself.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're not looking to upgrade anything, the cheapest solution would be to figure out what's causing your whine and then go from there.

I'd start by popping the diff cover off, inspect and change fluid.

Then I'd jack up the rear and check for shaft play and play in the pinion as well. Could be bearings.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any off-road shop should be able to handle an axle swap or rebuild.

Ali07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anything before 2002 will have drum brakes. You want to keep your disc brakes. Dealer can reprogram for the different gears.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I know this is a old thread, but if the dealer doesn’t reprogram for the different gears, can it cause the transmission to act funny? Especially in a 4wd?

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is a old thread, but if the dealer doesn’t reprogram for the different gears, can it cause the transmission to act funny? Especially in a 4wd?
Older models would just affect speedo and cruise control. If 4wd, you can't change rear ratio, without doing the front too. Two different ratios would tear your transfer case apart, the first time you engage 4wd.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk