dodge ram 1500 4.7l exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zackernst

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 dodge ram 1500
Engine
About 6 months ago i installed a single 2.5inch from the cat to a single in dual out flowmaster super 10 with 3inch pipe leaving the muffler it sounds great but i feel like i lost some power could this be true ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably did lose some power. Opening up the exhaust system causes a lack of backpressure which can cause power loss. You still have cats so it’s probably not major but yes you can probably feel a power loss.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Probably did lose some power. Opening up the exhaust system causes a lack of backpressure which can cause power loss. You still have cats so it’s probably not major but yes you can probably feel a power loss.

You know that lack of acupressure thing is ******** right? Like backpressure had nothing to do with power loss

My guess is since it sounds louder and it has the same power as always your mind is hearing the sound and you're thinking it should have all this power and what not but really it's the same as before

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My guess is since it sounds louder and it has the same power as always your mind is hearing the sound and you're thinking it should have all this power and what not but really it's the same as before

I agree, I think it’s a perception thing. When I had a really loud muffler it felt like I lost some power, then I put a quieter muffler (but still a straight through design, basically the same thing) on it seemed like I had better low end. I think it’s just a volume thing

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah I believe back pressure is a myth. I think it’s more of an exhaust velocity when you change to a larger exhaust pipe diameter. A larger pipe doesn’t flow as fast as a smaller pipe

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Yeah I believe back pressure is a myth. I think it’s more of an exhaust velocity when you change to a larger exhaust pipe diameter. A larger pipe doesn’t flow as fast as a smaller pipe

Yeah I haven't found any hard facts or evidence that loss of back pressure hurts Hp but if anything loss of back pressure should gain you hp because if you have alot of back pressure then you have a restrictive exhaust and hp is all about air flow. You don't port your heads and get a bigger cam to restrict flow going in so why would you restrict it going out and the diameter if the piping, I've seen dyno tests where larger pipe diameter increases go but that was only at 3in as a max if anything larger than that I do not know

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Here’s a pretty good video showing some dyno pulls. I think it’s more of a general statement about exhausts, but it kinda explains the basics
[yt]_PVXvHkr-Vs[/yt]

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Here’s a pretty good video showing some dyno pulls. I think it’s more of a general statement about exhausts, but it kinda explains the basics
[yt]_PVXvHkr-Vs[/yt]

Honestly their channel is the best lol seeing the actual results between A and B is what I like about their series

OP
OP
zackernst

zackernst

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 dodge ram 1500
Engine
yea i feel like i lost power but it is much louder then before which makes it sound like the engine is working harder but i did fix my speedometer that was 5 mph off so that could be it also

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is basically what I was getting at. Backpressure does play a part as far as exhaust scavenging but exhaust velocity does too. A bigger pipe equals slower moving exhaust gas which can equal combustion chambers that have hot exhaust gas remaining in them for the next ignition cycle. This isn’t necessarily bad for mileage but it is bad for power.