Dodge ram starts every time but intermittently has clicking before starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevea3258

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
I've replaced battery. Starter. And starter relay but I'm still experiencing same problem . When I turn my key I'm experiencing same thing truck always starts but sometimes it clicks and sometimes not. For example yesterday I started the truck 6 total times but it only did the clicking twice any ideas on what this might be I will appreciate thanks

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say the starter solenoid , or check the electrical connection for corrosion on the solenoid wire and it's mounting base .

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stevea3258

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
I replaced the starter/solenoid and the wires were all fine and it still did same thing.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the other end of the solenoid wires , make sure there's no corrosion or loose connection there .
Also check the integrity of the wire itself such as corrosion, cuts , heat damage or sharp bends that could result in broken wires inside the shielding/external cover.
Make sure the solenoids mounting base & hardware has good continuity to ground.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stevea3258

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
Doesn't sound like the clicking is coming from starter sounds like from under hood but I've replaced the starter relay under the fuse box as well and it still did it

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
The solenoid is not getting 100% power at start up, the current is running ground somewhere. Trace all and I mean ALL wireing in and around truck for corrosion, breakage,melted, etc. It will take a while but I guarantee you will find it. Clean all grounds to, make sure they are metal to metal not metal to rust or paint. Good luck bud.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I second checking the grounds for corrosion, especially any that connect the engine to the battery and/or frame. You may even want to add one direct from the battery to the engine if there isn't one.

OP
OP
S

Stevea3258

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
All connections are good. I went 3 days from Sunday to Wed with no problem and then the clicking came back. It's not all the time either I can start the truck fine 5 times in a row and then maybe once or twice throughout the day I will get 3-4 fast clicks before the truck turns over

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stevea3258

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
New battery new relay new starter and all connections are good. I did have a new stereo I installed recently from crutch field with a provided pac wiring harness but I did not touch any other wiring and I did not get any strange dash light or warning at all. I've since put stock stereo back in to just try that as I'm nearing the losing my insanity point on this situation

OP
OP
S

Stevea3258

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
Also checked alternator and that is fine too

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check ignition switch for burnt connections.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stevea3258

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
Check ignition switch for burnt connections.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Since this all started approx the day after installing new stereo I figured I would go back and recheck all my wiring from pac harness to stereo harness. Found a red with white stripe parking break ground wire was connected to radio power wire. I'm assuming by having a neg ground connect to a positive it was creating a short. Going to drive around with the stock head unit and make sure no more issues before RE installing new stereo. Thanks

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If you bought your starter at auto zone or any chain place like that is, that it's very possible to get a faulty unit

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
It is your starter scelinoid and if you got it from autozone my brother has problem with starters and alternators .Like I say some of their products are good and some suck.