Does the 2006 ST V6 RWD have a transmission pan and transmission fluid filters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
Every video I look up on changing the transmission fluid is showing a tray being removed and an external filter (similar to an oil filter) and an internal filter.

I went to the parts store yesterday and purchased the internal filter, came in a box.
They said they didn't have the external filter but that didn't necessarily mean the truck did or did not have one.

So I went to look under the truck and I swear I couldn't see neither anything close to the type of tray being removed in the videos nor a transmission fluid filter.
But I figure the tray has to be there since the parts store sold me an internal filter based on year/make/model/engine.

What I did see was what appeared to be a drain bolt on the bottom of the transmission as well as what appeared to be a fill plug on the driver's side of the transmission.

Has anyone changed the transmission fluid in a Generation 3 (2006) RAM 1500 ST Regular cab 3.7L V6 RWD and if so, what is the process?

In other words is it drain and refill like it appears or did I miss the tray?

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
I think for a manual 6-speed it's only drain and fill

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you have a manual transmission, there is no pan or filters to worry about. It is a simple drain and fill.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
Are either of these a suitable substitute for the recommended ATF +4 fluid?
Also for the DEJ transmission, where can I look up the capacity?

(Left) "DEX/MERC"
(Right) "MULTI-VEHICLE ATF Meets Dexron-III/Mercon performance requirements"

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
I have a GETRAG 238 6-speed transmission.

Dealer and everyone else says 4.6 pints (2.3 quarts). I've pumped in about 3.5 quarts so far and nothing draining from what I think is the fill hole.

I looked online, no diagrams of the GETRAG 238 6-speed fill hole.

Would like to confirm that it's the silver 12mm hex bolt on the side wall of the tranny on the drivers' side...?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That transmission calls for ATF+4, so I would not run either of the fluids that you posted above. Find the correct fluid for it. Carquest should have ATF+4.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
Oh snap I just looked at it and on the passenger side there's a matching black plug and that's the fill plug!
Since the silver 12mm bolt is located higher than the black fill plug, when I undid the black fill plug, fresh tranny fluid started coming out.
Those 12mm silver bolts are all over the tranny and they plug up a hole that will accept fluid ... what is the purpose?
So the question becomes, should I drain the excess fluid I put in through the top plug because:
a) you're not supposed to overfill a tranny
or
b) should I leave the excess fluid in there since I've also read about people who purposely overfill a tranny
?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
If the oil comes out the plug it is full.If you over fill it most likely it will blow a seal or start leaking.Remember gear oil is not just a lubricant it cools the transmission it heats up and needs a way to expand.If the fluid looks clear leave it alone.Only a automatic transmission uses that type filter and you just can not put any type of transmission fluid in it or it will slip.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
I'm just going to open the actual fill plug and let the overfill drain out. Once it stops draining I'll replace the plug and should be good to go. Thanks