Does oil filter brand matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTLA_RamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey everybody

I've got a 2008 5.7L 1500 and I've recently become addicted to doing all of the maintenance myself :favorites13:

I'm due for an oil change in the next week or so and I'm curious to know whether or not the brand of oil filter I get really matters.

Considering the relatively low price range oil filters run, I'm not opposed to paying more if it pays off in the long run.

Any suggestions? Thanks

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It definitely does. There are lots of threads on the web where people have cut open and compared filter media and design. If you run synthetic and want to run longer oil changes then a fully synthetic filter media is a must. I only buy the Royal Purple synthetic filters these days but there are plenty of other quality filters out there; don't by into the name branding either, most filters are made by the same companies with a different label on the box; there's also quality differences between lines in the same brand.

I believe the synthetic oil thread has a sub topic comparing filters as well, have a look for that.

OP
OP
D

DTLA_RamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Great thanks!

Do you exclusively run with Royal Purple motor oil?

I've been leaning towards the Pennzoil Full Synthetic High Mileage but haven't made decision yet. I intend to purchase the oil and filter at the same time.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just tried redline full synthetic motor oil for the first time, quietest my motors ever been.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Only thing I will add, is stay away from unknown name brands and obscure filters from overseas mainly Asia. In the rare event you have a filter related problem that causes engine problems, you want to be able to have a path of recourse that is either from a know major brand or a house brand through a know established retail outlet.

Just be warned, oil filter threads can turn into motor oil threads in that a lot of opinion and hyperbole of what brand X is better than brand Y. Everybody has their favorite for many different reasons. Just take it in and make your own decision because no matter what one you make, someone is gonna have problem with it.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use amsoil filter

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
15k mile change interval

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have looked into this myself recently and I have learned quite a bit. I was a mobil one oil and filter man but will now be switching to redline synthetic and royal purple filter or wix filter. Whatever you do choose and I say this from recent experience, if you want to give the K&N filter a shot... research and keep an eye on it. I personally will never buy K&N filters again. Last Sunday i did an oil change... a few days later I saw a leak under the truck, turns out it was coming from the filter where the tightening nut gets welded on had a slight crack in it that was causing a leak, switched to royal purple filter 10-48 I think and its been clean and good. Good luck with what you choose but there is a lot of data on here and a lot of good opinions.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Great thanks!

Do you exclusively run with Royal Purple motor oil?

I've been leaning towards the Pennzoil Full Synthetic High Mileage but haven't made decision yet. I intend to purchase the oil and filter at the same time.

I run Redline 5w30 in mine but I'm also running a 17psi supercharger with water/**** injection so you can't compare mine with a stock engine, that said, a quality fully synthetic oil allows you to run longer change intervals and if you do used oil analysis like some of us you will learn how often you truly need to change your oil and get away from the 3-5000mi that is the common belief.

OP
OP
D

DTLA_RamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for all the tips and help!

I decided to follow through with the Royal Purple filter as it seems to receive consistent and high accolades.

As for the oil, I'm going to go ahead and try the Pennzoil Full Synthetic High mileage 5w-30

My truck just ticked 145k miles yesterday so I figure it'll do a good job on my older engine.

I'll likely get to changing the oil myself in the next week or two. I'm excited to get to it.

Thanks again everyone!

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had ran Royal Purple for a while. I had put it in everything. Now I just run regular Mobil 1 and a Mopar filter. 134k miles and get a whopping 14-15 mpg since day one, so I'm going back with conventional oils when it's time to change the oil in the diffs/trans/t-case again.