E-Fan Install Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
I'm installing a dual electric fan setup into my 07 Ram. Everything is installed, and I'm at the point of wiring up the relays to a switched 12V source. I'm trying to make sure I tap into the right wire here, so it doesn't interfere with the proper operation of anything, or end up damaging the TIPM.

Does anyone know what the best 12V ignition switched wire to tap into under the hood would be? Or will I have to run the wire inside the cab? Obviously I can probe the hundreds of wires one by one, but I'm hoping someone here has done this before and can save me the trouble. Thank You guys in advance. :favorites13:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were you I'd put it on a thermostat. Having it on all the time will put a constant unnecessary draw on the electrical system and will also make it take forever to warm up. Not to mention electric fans draw a lot of power especially during start up and tapping into an existing circuit is definitely not a good idea.

Best option would be using a thermostat. Next one would be using a relay triggered by an ignition circuit to draw power directly from the battery, not the circuit itself. But then you'll still have the problems above.

Last edited:

woody31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Special Service Vehicle
You could wire it up a relay and toggle switch,only issue is if you forget to turn it on, then you have a real issue.

OP
OP
LTDMan

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. I'm looking for a 12V key-on switched wire, somewhere under the hood, to trigger a relay, which in turn feeds current to the fans from a wire going directly to the battery. I have a thermostat for the fans installed already to make sure it cuts on and off when its supposed to. I just need to know if anyone knows of a 12V key-on switched wire under the hood, that I can tap into to trigger the relay?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. I'm looking for a 12V key-on switched wire, somewhere under the hood, to trigger a relay, which in turn feeds current to the fans from a wire going directly to the battery. I have a thermostat for the fans installed already to make sure it cuts on and off when its supposed to. I just need to know if anyone knows of a 12V key-on switched wire under the hood, that I can tap into to trigger the relay?

Not off the top of my head but you do.

Pop open that fuse box and use a multi meter to see what gets power with the key turned on! Then use a piggy back to give you your power.

In previous trucks the sunroof fuse always got power even if you didn't have a sunroof.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Where did you get your fans and necessary equipment from?

OP
OP
LTDMan

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
Got it figured out pretty quickly, since the inside of the fuse box is labeled, lol. Thought I'd post up the answer to help anyone else out who may be doing the same thing.

Fuse# 33 (Ignition On/Misc Acc 10A), on the other side of the fuse box it's a 10ga Pink w/Red Stripe Wire. Tap into this and your golden.

OP
OP
LTDMan

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
Where did you get your fans and necessary equipment from?

I got all my stuff from Jegs. Derale everything, Dual 10in Fans, Thermostat, Relays. All hidden behind/inside the stock shroud, so it still looks factory.

woody31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Special Service Vehicle
I got all my stuff from Jegs. Derale everything, Dual 10in Fans, Thermostat, Relays. All hidden behind/inside the stock shroud, so it still looks factory.

Got any pics of the install?