EGR Valve issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently bought a 2007 5.7l Hemi 1500 Ram. It was giving me a code for EGR valve need replaced per the dealer. They had one for $150 and told me an after market one would not work. Me being broke saved $50 and bought the after market one. I installed it and now my truck went from running great with a check engine light to barely running with the lightning bolt flashing and a check engine light still on. Is it true that you can't use anything but dealer expensive parts for Rams? Help! What can I do? They already charged me $180 to replace the oil sensor. Can this be fixed? Is there some crazy way to reset the one I installed? Hemi yeah

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The aftermarket ones work just fine. You may need to clean the EGR tube since it's most likely plugged. Lightning bolt is throttle control so check that the throttle body plug is all the way on and tight and that you don't have any vacuum leaks.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Then take a 15 min drive. EGR has to relearn.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I got nothing for a solution, but I like your username. Is your rig called the "Thunderbolt grease-slapper"?

Last edited: