Engine Compression/Parts Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
That's the thing, with the twin screw you are building power witht the rpms increasing, so you won't be running a full 12psi at idle or part throttle but it will be there on demand. Its more stream line power than the turbo or procharger as you are not waiting to bild the boost before it kicks in

What Ive read is that fundamentally, Roots-type (twin screw) and centrifugal superchargers affect power differently because of the differences in how they work. The twin-screw supercharger will give you more torque, more low- and mid-range grunt; the additional power will taper off at higher revs because the efficiency of the compressor drops off. Centrifugal superchargers have a very similar effect as turbochargers: efficiency - and thus added power - predominantly increases with revs. The centrifugal blower, you won't get much more power down low, but as you get up into the revs, you'll notice a bigger difference. I don't want alot of low mid-range power, I want higher rpm power. It also comes with an intercooler which is a must, so I wont have to have one custom made, and cetrifugal superchargers are more efficient. For these reasons, Im sold.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Honestly I would almost go with a turbo... but I dont want all the fabricated extra exhaust lines and it makes the engine compartment look pretty crowded, plus the added heat.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo's for the win! I've got a buddy that turbo'd his WS6 with a 98mm....lets just say 1-3rd are useless...

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Go with an sts kit then, they install pretty clean and they dont crowd the engine compartment, plus its a kit so really no fab wok needed or not that much. Sounds like youve done your homework thee trup

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trup is your hood ram air right now? Not that you'll really need it with forced induction,...j/w.

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
Go with an sts kit then, they install pretty clean and they dont crowd the engine compartment, plus its a kit so really no fab wok needed or not that much. Sounds like youve done your homework thee trup

they are more trouble then good...

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
they are more trouble then good...

I haven't really heard anyone have a problem with them. But ultimately its a un-reversable mod. A procharger (if I ever had problems) could just get unbolted, engine and fuel detuned and I'd be fine. With a rear mounted/or really any turbo, it's not exactly something you can just take off.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Thanks man! Ive been researching this for about 2 weeks now.

Trup is your hood ram air right now? Not that you'll really need it with forced induction,...j/w.

No it's not ram air right now. Granted, if I pop the hood, the whole underside of the motor and TB area is covered in bugs! Lol I have to clean it everytime I wash the truck. They get everywhere, so I know the scoop works great!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The Sts kits have an oil feed problem sometimes and you deff require the snorkle kit. Also seen the stock sts kits have bearing issues due to the oil feed issues. Trip sounds like you got a hell of a plan who are you gonna source the engine parts from?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Can you purchase the K1 rods from them K1 or do you have to go through a dealer?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I know ive said it once but contact either Inertia or Sharadon about a kit. When my #3 piston cam apart I looked into a Fordged Stroker Shortblock from Inertia and got a hell of a price I think. You could prob get the parts and assemble it yourself or get them to buildand spec it.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
all im seeing there is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and a whole lot of FUN :D

Haha seriously! After all that, I'm done with the motor! And then I can work on the tranny... cause after all that power... it'll prolly disintagrate! LMAO

No sheradon tranny either, too many problems with them.

I want an ATF Speed custom 5-45 RFE transmission with ATF Speed Valve Body, PML transmission pan, ATF billet triple disc lock-up converter, and some other goodies. Think it's rated to handle 800hp+, so that should be enough = P

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Trup,
This is the setup that has my attention. Unfortunately there isn't a manifold available for the Hemi .....

whippleweb.gif

Yes it's a whipple.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I know ive said it once but contact either Inertia or Sharadon about a kit. When my #3 piston cam apart I looked into a Fordged Stroker Shortblock from Inertia and got a hell of a price I think. You could prob get the parts and assemble it yourself or get them to buildand spec it.

Yeah the Hemi shop has a bunch of stroker kits, but unfortunately if I stroked the motor, I wouldn't be able run boost. Too high of compression. I see what your saying though, I'd definately love more input and like to see what they have. Ill call Inertia up, thanks KG!

Trup,
This is the setup that has my attention. Unfortunately there isn't a manifold available for the Hemi .....

whippleweb.gif

Yes it's a whipple.

That's badass man! They making a production version for us any time soon? Whipple makes awesome twin screws! Saw one on an f150. It was a diamon on a **** lol.

I thought it would be cool to put the 6.1L intake manifold on our 5.7's. Heard it can net a few more ponies. Not enough to counter the cost though lol.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
I wish we had more positive displacement options for the trucks. If there was I would try really damn hard in finding a way to tune mine then. I just love the whine and the low end stump ripping torque they produce off idle.

Also Trup when looking into cams remember you cannot go overly agressive or get a cam that any N/A truck can use. You need a cam designed specifically for boost cause if you hold them valves open too long you are just boosting right through the motor and into the exhaust. You probably knew this just a reminder I suppose.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Trup,
I saw the spec on the Emblamer cam and it was something like 210 int/ 212 exh .525 lift on 115 lsa. The noz cam was very similar.