Engine de-fueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Earlier I posted about a odd noise in my truck when it would shift under heavy acceleration after I tuned it with my predator. I was told it was defueling. I have only heard of that in diesels so I don't know about it in gassers. Is it bad for my truck? And what exactly is de-fueling and what is the process of de-fueling? Thanks!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I don't know about de-fueling. But under certain driving condition the fuel will be cut such under hard decel. Usually from what I know during a shift there is only some torque management that comes into play and that is done with timing rather than cutting fuel..

Last edited:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok it is near imposible for any truck to defuel as some people believe, especially the fuel injected ones. The fuel rails are pressurized and unless the fuel pump actually goes out they are always full of fuel under pressure. Now with carbureted engines you could lose fuel in the float bowl but even then that would only happen if the fuel pump went out.

OP
OP
FlaglerMegacab4x4

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so what would the strange sound be that I'm hearing under hard acceleration from gears 1-2 after tuning.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
is it a squeak/squeal right at the shift at WOT from 1-2?

I've had the same thing happening, and I've finally narrowed it down to the serpentine belt slipping. The tune messes with the torque management settings, and at WOT with good tire traction, instead of chirping the tires, when the engine finally goes under load again as it shifts, the serp belt jumps and squeaks. I thought it was the AC compressor at first but its the belt.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is it a squeak/squeal right at the shift at WOT from 1-2?

I've had the same thing happening, and I've finally narrowed it down to the serpentine belt slipping. The tune messes with the torque management settings, and at WOT with good tire traction, instead of chirping the tires, when the engine finally goes under load again as it shifts, the serp belt jumps and squeaks. I thought it was the AC compressor at first but its the belt.

This. There are 2 ways to fix this. First don't go WOT. I don't think that will go far. Or get a stronger idler pully to put more tension on the belt. Not sure if anyone makes them though.:sorrysign:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Fuel cut is a function of the PCM momentarily turning off the injectors, has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Might try some belt conditioner to see if that eliminates the squeak.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fuel cut is a function of the PCM momentarily turning off the injectors, has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Might try some belt conditioner to see if that eliminates the squeak.

Unless you hit the rev limiter, or the set maximum mph, the pcm will not shut off any of the injectors. I have had that happen to me and there are no noises related to it when this happens (except a momentary loss of power). What he is describing is a slipping belt at WOT. I was just giving him some information on how the fuel rails on a fuel injected engine works.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Unless you hit the rev limiter, or the set maximum mph, the pcm will not shut off any of the injectors. I have had that happen to me and there are no noises related to it when this happens (except a momentary loss of power). What he is describing is a slipping belt at WOT. I was just giving him some information on how the fuel rails on a fuel injected engine works.

Excellent, a Sunday morning discussion.
The fuel pump receives it's power from the ASD relay as do the injector's and ignition coils and it is supplied as long as the PCM is receiving a signal from the Crank Sensor. Ignition timing and injector control is administered by the PCM.

Torque Management in most part relies on adjusting timing. You may have notice when hitting the rpm/speed limiters there is no backfiring, that's because it is the timing that is being controlled and not a fuel cut.

From the manual under Fuel cut off strategy:

Vehicle speed
If the vehicle is under hard deceleration with the
proper rpm and closed throttle conditions, the PCM
will ignore the oxygen sensor input signal. The PCM
will enter a fuel cut-off strategy in which it will not
supply a ground to the injectors.

I believe that was what I originally stated.

OP
OP
FlaglerMegacab4x4

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't realize this would get so advance/in depth. I really appreciate all the info. I just want to make sure running the diablo won't damage my truck.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Greg is correct, there is no fuel cut at the limits. And actually, at the top speed limit, the PCM takes control of the ETC actuator as well to limit vehicle speed.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't realize this would get so advance/in depth. I really appreciate all the info. I just want to make sure running the diablo won't damage my truck.

No damage should occur, it's most likely just the belt hopping/slipping under the sudden shock. At first I thought it was an issue then I noticed a pattern. With warm tires, on warm dry pavement (like the drag strip) it chirps/squeaks on the 2nd gear shift. In lesser traction situations, it chirps the rear tires on the 2nd gear shift.

OP
OP
FlaglerMegacab4x4

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok yea on certain roads after she's all warmed up I'll hear the tires slip. Thanks for all the help.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I remember the thread and I was under the impression that he meant the pcm cuts the fuel for a moment during WOT 1-2 shift that was the pop you were hearing

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sound you hear has something to do with the diablo. A few years ago I had a diablo and my truck made the same sound you are describing at wot. I ended up getting a sc and swapped tunes. When I went to the sc tune on the same exact day as I had the diablo the sound was gone. No other changes were made and only about 15 minutes passed between runs. So that to me made it certain that it was something to do with the diablo. Even now years later I am running a custom tune and still have never heard that sound again since I removed the diablo tune.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Mine did it with the SCT custom tunes, never ran the canned DSP tune but my CMR DSP tune does not do it.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did it with the SCT custom tunes, never ran the canned DSP tune but my CMR DSP tune does not do it.

Weird. I know I did not like hearing that coming from my truck. It was actually one of the two main reasons I ditched the diablo.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I didnt like it either. It was alot more pronounced through the cut out open which made it sound 10 times worse.