engine swap need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigvic1289

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
i have a 2002 ram 1500 with a crappy 4.7 magnum damn thing hydro locked on the highway motors done. I think i want to upgrade i found a 2001 5.9. any idea if it will work

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You might be better off doing a hemi swap, since they use the same trans and similar computer systems. 360 uses a completely different trans.

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome ^ he is correct on a better choice would be doing a 5.7 swap but its not easy or cheap. How many miles were on your 4.7? They normaly dont hydro lock, mostly warp the heads if ran hot.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Like the other say a Hemi swap looks to be in your future. Now there are gonna be a few other arts that you will need to replace as well. First is the radiator. Most if not all of the 4.7l trucks use a single pass radiator, Hemi's do not like those at all. You will either need to get a radiator from a hemi, or get a 4 pass radiator from the internet. Motor mounts, possibly bellhousing for the tranny (that more depends upon the year of the hemi), poaaible electronics package for the Hemi also. The actual work is not that much it is the little things that you will need to do it right that may cost.
Swapping to a Hemi is well worth the effort and cost and you will love it. One thing to realize is some years of trucks the engine is drive by wire. I am no fan of that I like my foot directly connected to the throttle with a wire. I saw somewhere a complete Hemi swap kit and if I can find it again, I will post the link here for you.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might be better off doing a hemi swap, since they sue the same trans and similar computer systems. 360 uses a completely different trans.

Correct the 360 uses not only a different trans but also a totally different wiring setup and PCM bus system. Meaning you'd need new everything including a new gauge cluster!! Plus the 360 would be like taking a step backwards as far as power goes.

If you are going to do any kind of a swap I'd look into a hemi. Much easier swap since you would need a whole lot less parts. Such as trans and gauge cluster to start with. Plus like mentioned the wiring is way less of a nightmare.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Hemi is the way I'd go. The 4.7 PCM can be flashed to run the 5.7 and the 4.7 PCM is a drive by cable. You can use a LSX Cable driven TB with an adapter and do a SCT PCM flash. All years of hemi came originally with a Fly by Wire drive. Trans are the same 545RFE. Not for the faint of heart but has been done many times in the past. Good luck. I'm even thinking of using the 4.7 PCM on my hemi to eliminate the FBW function as I'm using a cable driven TB with my Megasquirt install.

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow! You can get an actual cable driven TB for a hemi? Nice! Looks like I will definitely be needing to educate myself in this subject. Hate the drive by wire!

I definitely suggest a Hemi swap as well. This has been done many times so quite a bit of info if you look around and is a way more logical step and something that you could actually call "an upgrade".

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
HemiBjorn take a look at Greg (RedTruckVA) and all of his stuff done to an 03. Danny is also a good source to look at when your talking 03 mods. Between the two of them they can tell you what does and dont work on those trucks from first hand experiance.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
We all help where we can. I'm still in the Magasquirt install phase and will be addressing the feasibility of using the 4.7 PCM to drive everything but engine management shortly. The Durango/Dakota forums do a lot of swaps and have tons of info. The DBW function is a major PIA, but there are adaptors for the cable driven LSX TB's which are relatively reasonable. These are used mostly on retro installs which the hemi engine is very popular.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
BBK also makes a cable driven TB that is made specifically for our Hemi's.

BBK : Cable Driven Hemi 5.7/6.1/6.4L Performance Throttle Body

I don't know anyone who has used one first hand but just another option for anyone who might be looking.

That is probably one of the best one's available. A $65 LSX adaptor will allow a Relatively cheap used/new LS1/LSX TB to also be used.

LS1 LS6 SBC 90mm Throttlebody Billett 4 Bolt Camaro Corvette GTO Firebird | eBay

Edit: These cable driven TB's as far as I know have only been used on hemi engines that have been swapped into 4.7's and retro installs into early none computerized cars. I know of no one using one with a hemi PCM. I have one on Redtruck, but I'm using a Megasquirt to manage the engine.

Last edited:

Helomedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
blown 4.7
I've got a 2007 Ram I'm working on with a buddy, it has a 4.7 that needs to be rebuilt. we're considering a Hemi swap, but we need info - form looking around, it sounds like we need to solve the throttle-body/FBW issue, and if we reuse the 4.7 PCM, we need to reflash it to run the Hemi, and we also need to get all of the front accessories with the Hemi. what about the wiring harness issue I keep hearing about? or does that not matter for a 2007?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Here is a picture of the 90mm LSX TB and adaptor.

Helomedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
blown 4.7
that TB looks sweet. so we could use that TB setup, the 4.7 PCM re-flashed, and the Hemi front accessories... any info on the wiring harness issue? in the couple of threads I've found across the internet, people say you have to get the harness from the donor truck. I can't tell which harness they actually mean - are they referring to the engine harness that ties the engine electrical to the computer or the power distribution box? or something more specific? I'm looking for mounts now, but since it's going into a 2007, I'm not worried about that part.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The hemi and 4.7 motors are very similar PCM wise. This is what makes the hemi a good motor to use. The harness you are asking about I would think is for a hemi retro install were there is no PCM installed. The 4.7 harness would need the hemi COP coil connectors wired to it's ignition harness and the injectors I would think just plug in. Knock sensors, EGR, alternator, oil pressure, water temp, IAT, CMP and CKP should plug in or perhaps need new connectors. But the point is, that the 4.7 would be looking for them and the hemi has them available to use. The 4.7 uses a drive by cable TB so connecting TPS/IAC again should simply plug in when using the correct connector. TPS for GM and/or most manufacturer TPS uses a common 0-5vdc signal. The 4.7 IAC would need to be deconstructed to determine what electrical requirement they need to work. They are a stepper motor and it might be as simple as using a 4.7 IAC motor with a GM mounting bracket if a GM TB was used. In my mind it is a pretty straight forward install. Again this is done a lot in Durango/Dakota's world and you should do all the research and have all your questions answered before starting. The needed tuning is to build a VE table to support the increase engine size and horsepower levels. Good luck..

Helomedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
blown 4.7
sweet. thanks for the quick response - I'll keep looking for suitable donors, but I keep finding 05-07 engine/trans combos from cars. are there any major issues with using car engines in the trucks? I'm a GM guy and I'm brand-new to Mopar stuff. the LSX engines have different manifolds for trucks vs cars, but as long as you use the accessory drive that matches the manifold, you're good. is there anything weird like that with the Mopar car/trucks?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The car intake and accessories are different then the truck intake and accessories. Some truck guys are using the car jntake manifold and changing the front drive stuff. I believe it is more for appearance then performance. Your 4.7 trans is the same as the hemi, so that's not a problem using the OEM TCM. I would prefer a truck engine, but wouldn't hesitate to use a car engine if that was what was available. Good luck...

Helomedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
blown 4.7
thanks. :) now, to find the right motor...

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck motor is definitely the way to go if you can find one. The car oil pan is also different from the trucks and would need to be changed as well.

Car has a front sump truck has a rear sump pan

Helomedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
blown 4.7
good to know. any particular year I should stay away from? from what I'm seeing, the the '05 and up years are the ones to get, is that true?