engine wont stay running or has low idle need help ?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my sister has a 2003 dodge ram 2500 5.7 with 148k on it just had a tune up about a month ago and just had a new trans install 2 weeks ago 4th gear was gone so she got it replaced had it back for about 2 weeks and now the trucks running funny throwing random codes had a code for the o2 sensors so we replaced those then we had a randomp multiple misfire check all the wires and plugs put in new coil packs everythings good but still getting that code but the big problem is when its running the rpms go from like 400-1500 up and down boggin out then coming back on I noticed this happens when its in park and neutral or going slow in drive or reverse but you could drive the truck fine does really good burnouts just cant stop at lights or it turns off any idea what it could be I even replaced the maf sensor and cleaned the whole throttle body and still go nothing ? and no other codes are coming up on the scanner need help don't know what else to do ? can it be something wrong with the new tranny ?

bhonshell42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my sister has a 2003 dodge ram 2500 5.7 with 148k on it just had a tune up about a month ago and just had a new trans install 2 weeks ago 4th gear was gone so she got it replaced had it back for about 2 weeks and now the trucks running funny throwing random codes had a code for the o2 sensors so we replaced those then we had a randomp multiple misfire check all the wires and plugs put in new coil packs everythings good but still getting that code but the big problem is when its running the rpms go from like 400-1500 up and down boggin out then coming back on I noticed this happens when its in park and neutral or going slow in drive or reverse but you could drive the truck fine does really good burnouts just cant stop at lights or it turns off any idea what it could be I even replaced the maf sensor and cleaned the whole throttle body and still go nothing ? and no other codes are coming up on the scanner need help don't know what else to do ? can it be something wrong with the new tranny ?
I suggest pulling the valve covers and checking each valve spring. Even a slight bend can cause issues with idling and throwing codes. I have a 2004 1500 with the hemi. If you do have a bad valve spring, check the national recall from Dodge for perhaps a cheap remedy. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay thanks I'll be doing that later then

sean_chot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you ever find a solution. My 03 1500 5.7 does the exact same thing. I've had the valve covers pulled and there was nothing wrong with any of the springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine would stall when slowing down abruptly, or turning. I added some Marvel's Mystery Oil (8 oz./10 gal. gas) and the problem stopped. Not sure if it was because of dirty injectors or what, but the problem of stalling stopped. It's cheap and easy, and worth a try. Use 16 ounces per fill-up. You can purchase it at Dollar General for under $4 or any parts store carries it. It's an old remedy to clean carbs/injectors, or add to oil to clean lifters, and sticky valves.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
When my rpms did that and the truck died while driving it turned out to be my fuel pump going out, I found out for sure because one day after it died while I was driving it didn't turn on and the fuse for the pump blew

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
If the engine is shutting off when you slow down or stop it sounds like a fuel issue to where enough fuel isn't hitting the engine.