Erratic Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hooker52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 Magnum
So I've noticed that when I start my truck on a cold start, I have erratic idling. It usually jumps between 1000-1500rpms. When I give it some gas it usually dies out for a little bit, and then might pick back up with the inconsistent idle.

It varies on how long it will do this, some times as soon as I pull down the road, its gone. Other times, the next stop light I get to, I notice it is doing it at idle still. But once the truck warms up, this problem is gone. I have been reading and it looks like it could be due to a dirty/bad IAC.

Is this something you guys have experienced or have any input on?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump for some help from someone who might know.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
it could be the iac mine will also do this on occasion. When was the last time the throttle body was cleaned?

OP
OP
Hooker52

Hooker52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 Magnum
it could be the iac mine will also do this on occasion. When was the last time the throttle body was cleaned?

I've had the truck for just two weeks, so no way to tell really. I guess I will start there with the TB and look at the IAC as well. It seems to be worse the colder it is outside.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if its worse when it cold i would lean more towards the iac then, the colder air is denser and if that senor isnt properly reading it it may be running it to lean at times then flooding it at others. i dont think they are that much i would just change it to eliminate that as the problem. YOu can check factorymopar.com or rockauto.com both vendors on here. Its not thrrowing any codes right?

OP
OP
Hooker52

Hooker52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 Magnum
It hasn't thrown any codes yet, so I am guessing its a more recent issue...thanks for the links man! You seem to be a real helper in alot of these threads. Much appreciated ;)

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It hasn't thrown any codes yet, so I am guessing its a more recent issue...thanks for the links man! You seem to be a real helper in alot of these threads. Much appreciated ;)

Thanks man i try to help as much as possible.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine will do it on occasion when I first pull out of the driveway. I cleaned the TB about 4 months ago so I am also guessing it might be time for a new IAC.