Excessive Coolant Burp in bottle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So just about every Friday, I pop the hood and give dad's truck a quick once over. I've been noticing as of late that there has been excessive coolant burpage on the de-gas bottle. Now, by this I mean I can see where the cap let out hot coolant and it dried on the black bottle.

Truck runs fine with no weirdness and I'm wondering if maybe the cap is bad? I mean, this bottle IS under pressure and the whole deal HAS been replaced once before due to a leak. It came with a new cap at the time, but it has been about 3-4 years since that was replaced.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I couldn't come up with anything difinitive but here are a few ideas. Make sure there's no air left in the system by running the engine with the cap off and the expansion bottle being at the highest point in the system. Bad cap like you suggested, a cracked filler neck or, I found this on the diesel forums, head gasket. The coolant system on my truck is open not closed and I hear that the closed systems are a pain to fill up and get all the air out of.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's a closed system and it has run low and gotten air in it, but I do my best to keep it topped off. I honestly think it's a bad cap even tho it SEEMS fine.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You might not have it but your local garage will, or should. A rad cap tester.

whitethunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 1500 4x4
I had to replace my lower radiator hose because it was leaking coolant and now every time i start the truck it overheats within like 4 mins. And when i turn it off it makes a bubbling noise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334