Exhaust Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doing some research for some new exhaust headers. Thinking ceramic coated shorties. Any brand suggestions guys?

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You will be gaining a lot more performance with long tube headers compared with the shorties. Most people who have installed shorties eventually replace them with long tube headers. You definitely should buy ceramic coated as they will last much longer and run a bit cooler. You could go the stainless steel route, as I plan to do, but they run over a $1,000.00. You also need to use Mopar exhaust gaskets instead of the ones that come with the headers. Use 6.1L exhaust manifold bolts as well.

OP
OP
L

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Harley won't I get more low end torque with the shorties? Everything I find suggests that long tube headers are only really beneficial above 5000rpm and for performance applications. Definitely going ceramic and stainless. some websites to order from would also be great. Summitracing and autoanything have prices around 700$
JBA Headers - Reviews on JBA Cat4ward Exhaust Headers - Stainless, Ceramic & Chrome Finishes

You can keep your low end torque as long as you use a Y pipe behind the long tube headers. The Hemi likes a Y pipe instead of true duel exhaust. Maybe someone who went from shorties to long tube headers will give you more input.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can keep your low end torque as long as you use a Y pipe behind the long tube headers. The Hemi likes a Y pipe instead of true duel exhaust. Maybe someone who went from shorties to long tube headers will give you more input.

Would doing a muffler delete cause a loss of low end torque?

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Would doing a muffler delete cause a loss of low end torque?

That would depend on what size exhaust pipe you plan to run. Most likely there would be a loss if you run 3" diameter pipe, not so much if you run 2 1/2" pipe.

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
I have longtubes, 3 in Y pipe, and 3 in all the way back to the bumper....no torque loss at all..

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So why couldn't you put duels on with say a 2.25 or 2.5 in. pipe, that way you can still have the needed back pressure?

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I put headers with 2 1/2" pipe on a van all the way to the rear bumper, it ran like a slug on takeoff, and only did well above 1500 RPM. I put glass pack mufflers on it and it would burn the tires off. All it needed was some back pressure.

I will be putting ARH SS long tube headers with 1 3/4" pipes, thru dual 3" cats in a 3" Y pipe, running 3" pipe back to my current Gibson SS muffler that is 3" inlet, 2 2 1/2" outlet pipes that exit out the passenger side in front of the rear tire.

OP
OP
L

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Magnaflow has all of their cat-back systems for the '06 ram running through 3.0" pipe. with NO muffler delete the 3" piping all the way back should be fine.

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had my BBK shorties for about 9 months now, great product, but I'm ready to step up to long tubes and an electric cutout.