Exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmelitia420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hey guys and gals,
i have a 5.7 hemi and just put a cai on it im now working on the exhaust system. idk what was stock as this is my first ram but whats on there now sounds decent and after cai it did have a much smoother response anyway it looks as if it was pieced together and a few welds leak and its rusty as hell(i could probably kick the pipes in half) so i want to replace the entire system.

so far ive purchased LT headers w/ 3' collectors and 3" high flow cats.

i see a lot of posts about true dual and such but im still unsure of which way will best perform.

What im wondering is pipe size?, distance from headers to cats? 02 sensors?
muffler or no? dual or single?

im not looking to make a race truck or a super hauler just a good balance of power and sound

i also have a lundry list of other things id like to bolt on but ill get to those later :)

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Don't do a true dual the hemi doesn't respond well to it put in an x pipe or do a x pipe style muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had a single in dual out on mine first with a 10 series and it ran good but didn't sound like I wanted so I did a true dual with cherry bomb extremes and it was stupid loud and lost a lot of low end power. I had a x pipe installed and it mellowed out the sound and gave me my power back. I had high flow cats for both set ups to. I'm really happy with how it sounds and runs now.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get a bigger y pipe to help open that choke spot on the stock exhaust. I have it single in single out setup an sounds healthy. But I also have a mild cam an no cats

OP
OP
M

metalmelitia420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just get a bigger y pipe to help open that choke spot on the stock exhaust. I have it single in single out setup an sounds healthy. But I also have a mild cam an no cats

Would love it if I could get away with it but somebody already did some funny stuff to it, it leaks in several places and it doesn't have the muffler or resonator goes 3 in. After cats then back to what I believe is 2 1/2 with a y for fake duals

Sounds like crap with the leaks and it was sluggish on take off until I put a cai on. Still sounds like crap but much smoother accel.

Red_ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stock size should be 2.5.

For dual or no dual it depends on if you plan on doing motor work for instance some cams require an high flow exhaust system. While others do not. For my truck I plan on going with a high lift cam, which needs an high flow exhaust so I have pacesetter LT headers, with a manaflow high flow 3" cats and it stays 3"all the way out to the Flowmaster super 10 mufflers. The system is true dual.

For distance from headers to cats try to keep them close to the headers. So you don't have to create a massive pigtail harness. From the OEM location to just past your cats

For the 02 sensors. Most LT headers have your upstream port preinstalled. For the down stream sensor a good rule of thumb is 2" back from cat and the **** being 10° from level plane to ensure no liquid build up during cold starts

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I don't plan on doing a cam or anything like that so that's why I kept 2.5" the whole way so it wasn't too open.