Exhaust manifold - stainless studs and a couple ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopsieze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
I've got an 04 5.7 and most say to use stainless studs if doing exhaust manifold gaskets, for obvious reasons. Could anyone say what torque specs should be if using stainless studs and nuts (plus nickel anti seize). I read 18 ft-lb but is that just the nut? What should the stud be?

Will the anti seize or stainless change the what the torque value should be?

Also, should the manifold be machined if there is minor pitting or maybe a diy solution? Thought about gluing some sandpaper to a sheet of glass if the manifold looks bad.

Thank you

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The kit you get should say. I believe the stud is normally just a few more than the nut, so I bet around 21ft-lb.

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
The kit you get should say. I believe the stud is normally just a few more than the nut, so I bet around 21ft-lb.
I just emailed them, not sure if they will respond on the weekend and hoping to put this back together. If I don't hear back maybe I'll go with that though, although I read anti seize you should be torquing anywhere from 25-40% less which seems extreme. Just wondering if you all just snug them in or hard core "by the book" with it.

Also, what about the heat shield, drill holes so can use studs or just leave it off?

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
Still can't find the specs for studs on this truck. Found it for a couple other vehicles and the studs are actually less than the nuts on those vehicles.... probably just going to go 12ft-lb for studs and 18ft-lb for nuts